Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Side Loading Alternative?

OP Vidikron

12th April 2014, 02:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

16 posts
I've been side loading apps using ADB across my home network, but is there a way to use a file manager (like ES File Explorer) to install APKs? I put an APK on my Fire TV and tried using ES File Explorer and it gave my an error stating that the install was blocked because my "phone" was set to not allow installs from unknown sources. Is there a way around this restriction as this time?
12th April 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 15

70 posts
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21380

Sent from my Nexus 7
12th April 2014, 04:22 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 87

552 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidikron

I've been side loading apps using ADB across my home network, but is there a way to use a file manager (like ES File Explorer) to install APKs? I put an APK on my Fire TV and tried using ES File Explorer and it gave my an error stating that the install was blocked because my "phone" was set to not allow installs from unknown sources. Is there a way around this restriction as this time?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=593538

should make it easier anyways
13th April 2014, 03:30 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=593538

should make it easier anyways

Do you know the proper way to edit that command to work over a network? It seems to be set up assuming a direct connection. I tried a couple of things like throwing "connect <IP address>" in there, but nothing worked. But I'm probably not setting up the commands correctly.
13th April 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

12 posts
Quote:

Do you know the proper way to edit that command to work over a network? It seems to be set up assuming a direct connection. I tried a couple of things like throwing "connect <IP address>" in there, but nothing worked. But I'm probably not setting up the commands correctly.

All I did was make sure port 5555 was open on my router and the shell install is working over my network without any changes to the reg file.
13th April 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVSS

All I did was make sure port 5555 was open on my router and the shell install is working over my network without any changes to the reg file.

Interesting.. It just says "waiting for device" when I try.
13th April 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

12 posts
Quote:

Interesting.. It just says "waiting for device" when I try.

Just double checking, but you did turn adb on on your fire tv right?
13th April 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVSS

Just double checking, but you did turn adb on on your fire tv right?

Yes. I've been installing APKs via the command prompt on my PC and that works fine. But when doing that I have to use the connect command to connect to a specific IP. I guess I'm unclear on how adb is actually supposed to find my device without telling it where to look.

[edit] Well, I've sort of gotten around the issue. I just made a second shell command to connect. So now I right-click connect and then right-click install. Not as pretty as a single command, but much faster than what I was doing before. But if anyone knows how to merge the two into a single command please let me know.
Last edited by Vidikron; 13th April 2014 at 08:13 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread