FORUMS

Android M Code Name: Macadamia Nut Cookie

While the official name for the latest iteration of Android has yet to be revealed, the code … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Side Loading Alternative?

12th April 2014, 01:35 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I've been side loading apps using ADB across my home network, but is there a way to use a file manager (like ES File Explorer) to install APKs? I put an APK on my Fire TV and tried using ES File Explorer and it gave my an error stating that the install was blocked because my "phone" was set to not allow installs from unknown sources. Is there a way around this restriction as this time?

12th April 2014, 04:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21380

Sent from my Nexus 7
12th April 2014, 03:22 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidikron

I've been side loading apps using ADB across my home network, but is there a way to use a file manager (like ES File Explorer) to install APKs? I put an APK on my Fire TV and tried using ES File Explorer and it gave my an error stating that the install was blocked because my "phone" was set to not allow installs from unknown sources. Is there a way around this restriction as this time?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=593538

should make it easier anyways
13th April 2014, 02:30 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=593538

should make it easier anyways

Do you know the proper way to edit that command to work over a network? It seems to be set up assuming a direct connection. I tried a couple of things like throwing "connect <IP address>" in there, but nothing worked. But I'm probably not setting up the commands correctly.
13th April 2014, 02:42 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Do you know the proper way to edit that command to work over a network? It seems to be set up assuming a direct connection. I tried a couple of things like throwing "connect <IP address>" in there, but nothing worked. But I'm probably not setting up the commands correctly.

All I did was make sure port 5555 was open on my router and the shell install is working over my network without any changes to the reg file.
13th April 2014, 03:45 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVSS

All I did was make sure port 5555 was open on my router and the shell install is working over my network without any changes to the reg file.

Interesting.. It just says "waiting for device" when I try.
13th April 2014, 04:37 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Interesting.. It just says "waiting for device" when I try.

Just double checking, but you did turn adb on on your fire tv right?
13th April 2014, 06:30 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVSS

Just double checking, but you did turn adb on on your fire tv right?

Yes. I've been installing APKs via the command prompt on my PC and that works fine. But when doing that I have to use the connect command to connect to a specific IP. I guess I'm unclear on how adb is actually supposed to find my device without telling it where to look.

[edit] Well, I've sort of gotten around the issue. I just made a second shell command to connect. So now I right-click connect and then right-click install. Not as pretty as a single command, but much faster than what I was doing before. But if anyone knows how to merge the two into a single command please let me know.
Last edited by Vidikron; 13th April 2014 at 07:13 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread