Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,204 Members 45,795 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Side Loading Alternative?

Tip us?

Vidikron
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question Side Loading Alternative?

I've been side loading apps using ADB across my home network, but is there a way to use a file manager (like ES File Explorer) to install APKs? I put an APK on my Fire TV and tried using ES File Explorer and it gave my an error stating that the install was blocked because my "phone" was set to not allow installs from unknown sources. Is there a way around this restriction as this time?

V8vroom
Old
Thanks Meter 11
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21380

Sent from my Nexus 7

screwyluie
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidikron View Post
I've been side loading apps using ADB across my home network, but is there a way to use a file manager (like ES File Explorer) to install APKs? I put an APK on my Fire TV and tried using ES File Explorer and it gave my an error stating that the install was blocked because my "phone" was set to not allow installs from unknown sources. Is there a way around this restriction as this time?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=593538

should make it easier anyways

Vidikron
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Do you know the proper way to edit that command to work over a network? It seems to be set up assuming a direct connection. I tried a couple of things like throwing "connect <IP address>" in there, but nothing worked. But I'm probably not setting up the commands correctly.

DeVSS
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Do you know the proper way to edit that command to work over a network? It seems to be set up assuming a direct connection. I tried a couple of things like throwing "connect <IP address>" in there, but nothing worked. But I'm probably not setting up the commands correctly.
All I did was make sure port 5555 was open on my router and the shell install is working over my network without any changes to the reg file.
Laugh hard, it's a long ways to the bank!

Vidikron
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVSS View Post
All I did was make sure port 5555 was open on my router and the shell install is working over my network without any changes to the reg file.
Interesting.. It just says "waiting for device" when I try.

DeVSS
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Interesting.. It just says "waiting for device" when I try.
Just double checking, but you did turn adb on on your fire tv right?
Laugh hard, it's a long ways to the bank!

Vidikron
Old
(Last edited by Vidikron; 13th April 2014 at 07:13 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVSS View Post
Just double checking, but you did turn adb on on your fire tv right?
Yes. I've been installing APKs via the command prompt on my PC and that works fine. But when doing that I have to use the connect command to connect to a specific IP. I guess I'm unclear on how adb is actually supposed to find my device without telling it where to look.

[edit] Well, I've sort of gotten around the issue. I just made a second shell command to connect. So now I right-click connect and then right-click install. Not as pretty as a single command, but much faster than what I was doing before. But if anyone knows how to merge the two into a single command please let me know.