Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Hyperdrive RLS15 - Move Samsung Keyboard to user app?

OP bizaff

13th April 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
I'm on Hyperdrive RLS15. Hyperdrive has the Samsung keyboard as a system app. In the interests of paranoia, I'd like to make the Samsung keyboard a user app (not a system app) so I can disable internet access, via AFWall+, XPrivacy, etc.

I tried converting to a user app with Titanium Backup, but that failed (Cannot convert "Samsung keyboard 1.0" to a user app.) I backed up the keyboard with Titanium Backup and copied the apk out of /system/data, then uninstalled the keyboard. I tried installing the apk from ES File Explorer, but that appeared to fail silently - I couldn't select it in Settings. Then I went to Google Play and was going to install from there, but the only choice was to Uninstall, so I did that. Then the option was Update. I tried updating, and again no obvious way to see anything installed.

Last, I restored from Titanium Backup, and I'm back where I started.

My questions:

1) Is there a way to change an installed app from a system app to a user app, given Titanium Backup failed?
2) Is there a way to modify a Titanium Backup backup to change it from a system to a user app?

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread