OP jdrudd2

12th April 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
More
Hello, all

I have looked and searched. I have seen a few threads and a few posts, but cannot find anything concrete about this. I even officially bricked a device trying to follow a thread (to the letter).
I have rooted and unlocked several devices in the past, and installed many ROMs before. However, this device is proving to be a pain.

Recently I purchased the Tab 2 (SCH-i705) for a very low price. It was shipped to me running Android 4.1.2 (on Verizon) and the baseband is VRBMI1. I saw MrHyde03's post (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1885558) on rooting and unlocking the bootloader. However, when I flashed the aboot.img file, it toasted my previous device. No power-up, no USB recognition, no nothing. Managed to take it back and got it traded out for a new device. I now have a new Tab2, but the same setup. What I want to do is run the Slimkat ROM.

My long winded question is: can I do this? I know Verizon has made it tough to unlock the bootloader, something needed in order to add a custom recovery. Does anyone know of a method that will allow me to add the Slimkat ROM to this device? I know not many people are using it or developing for it any longer. But any help would be appreciated. Again, I have seen what MrHyde03 wrote up, but I am afraid I will brick another device by trying to flash an aboot.img file.

I did see this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...09&postcount=1) about using Safestrap and not actually unlocking the device. I am currently doing that on my S4 since Verizon has it locked down. But I would not be able to run the ROM that I want.

Any help or pointers would be great. Thanks for reading and helping.
Cheers!
Last edited by jdrudd2; 12th April 2014 at 07:38 PM.
12th April 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 17

177 posts
You can root it, but I don't think you can unlock the bootloader anymore. The root method is linked in one of those Hyde threads near the end. It's not his method... there's a "one click" for multiple devices that works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to JelloB For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2014, 08:15 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloB

You can root it, but I don't think you can unlock the bootloader anymore. The root method is linked in one of those Hyde threads near the end. It's not his method... there's a "one click" for multiple devices that works great.

That's what I've realized. Bummer too. I'll go take a look. I hadn't seen a one-click method. Everything I've seen has to be done via Odin & ADB.
If you happen to find the easy method, let me know!
Last edited by jdrudd2; 13th April 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread