[Q] NC5 modem and Aosp roms??

Search This thread

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury
Hey all!
So the NC5 update comes with a new modem (modems are labled as Baseband in settings I believe, correct me if im wrong)
So with the new NC5 update, with the focus being the new modem, it has me wondering about the effect that flashing new AOSP roms have on the modem.

AOSP roms for the note 3 have been merged to be compatible with all variants of the Note 3. So im wondering when one of these AOSP roms are flashed to touchwiz software... what remains as touchwiz and what is AOSPifed (for lack of a better word)
Im asking specifically because of the modem, if NC5 comes with a new modem, and AOSP is compatible with all variants, wouldn't the modem be changed? And a simple twrp backup of Boot, system, data wouldn't include the original modem... would it?

so far this is my understanding of what is and what is not effected by flashing an aosp rom on a toucwiz device-

Bootloader- not effected: note3 touchwiz kitkat booloater is compatible with all kitkat note3 roms, aosp or touchwiz
kernel- yes, changed to an aosp kernel, but a simple twrp restore of boot and/or system will restore the correct kernel you were previously on
rom- Yes you will not longer be on toucwiz based rom, but again easily restored correctly with twrp

and then theres modem/baseband- will the baseband/modem remain the same? how would that work if the roms are universally merged?
and I believe the standard twrp boot, system, data will not restore the baseband, as there is a separate modem option.
and I would be weary of restoring the modem on the note3 because after doing some reading in the note3 forums changing/replacing, or even jumping to older modems (NC5-NAB )without the engineering bootloader can be catastrophic (for lack of a better word lol)

So hopefully this post makes sense as I have tried very hard to explain the dilemma, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :)

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
The radio stays the same .... There is a ril between the rom and the radio .... radio interface layer any radio will work with the aosp roms ... Hardware may get a little better signal with one over the other but they will all work. .. cyanogen or aosb etc paranoid they have ril just like the Samsung rom has ... The modem is separate software. .. like a bootloader is also

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Reactions: CollinsB

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury
The radio stays the same .... There is a ril between the rom and the radio .... radio interface layer any radio will work with the aosp roms ... Hardware may get a little better signal with one over the other but they will all work. .. cyanogen or aosb etc paranoid they have ril just like the Samsung rom has ... The modem is separate software. .. like a bootloader is also

Thanks for the reply!
I think I understand the basis of what you are saying..so basically the modem/baseband will not be affected at all when flashing any aosp roms...right? and when you say radio you do mean modem, the modem stays the same?

Sorry I am clearly very limited in this area so I dont really understand what you mean by "a ril " or a radio interface layer. I sense they may be very complex topics and a lot to describe, so please dont feel you have to waste your time going too much in detail. Though of course if you have the time I would love to learn :)
But basically I hear I should be clear to AOSP flash away, without any issues with the modem. which is great!
thanks again! :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.