Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 52,887 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing future official ROMs after unlock -

Tip us?
 
Trevor_g
Old
#1  
Trevor_g's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 125
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Flashing future official ROMs after unlock -

Hey guys! My apologies if this is a redundant question, but I just wanted to be sure:

If ASUS decides to actually put out an official KitKat update for this thing eventually, would I still be able to try it out / install it normally *after* I've unlocked?

If so, what exactly would be my procedure? Will I be blocked from getting or installing the OTA, or would the process be no different?

There's been some great progress it seems on custom ROMs for this thing. I'm a bit gun shy admittedly, as running custom ROMs on previous devices led to a lot of instability. I guess I want to ensure I'll still have the option to try out a future official build if I choose. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
 
zabih107
Old
(Last edited by zabih107; 11th April 2014 at 04:37 AM.)
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 133
Join Date: Aug 2012
Yes you will definitely be able to update to KitKat once released. However you won't be able to get the OTA update automatically sent to ur tab once u unlock it. But its pretty simple to get it. After Asus has pushed the ota to devices, the also upload the firmware to their website. U would simple download that and place it in the root of ur internal SD, and reboot. Tab will recognize the update, and give u notification for installing it. And u continue with that. Very simple.

And as for the Roms , the cromix ROM is by far very stable ROM. I have tried it for very long time, and has no issues at all, and the plus side is u can do a lot of customizations yet the ROM still runs faster than stock. I strongly recommend cromix ROM.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to zabih107 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Trevor_g
Old
#3  
Trevor_g's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 125
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabih107 View Post
Yes you will definitely be able to update to KitKat once released. However you won't be able to get the OTA update automatically sent to ur tab once u unlock it. But its pretty simple to get it. After Asus has pushed the ota to devices, the also upload the firmware to their website. U would simple download that and place it in the root of ur internal SD, and reboot. Tab will recognize the update, and give u notification for installing it. And u continue with that. Very simple.

And as for the Roms , the cromix ROM is by far very stable ROM. I have tried it for very long time, and has no issues at all, and the plus side is u can do a lot of customizations yet the ROM still runs faster than stock. I strongly recommend cromix ROM.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Thank you! Answered my question perfectly. I think I'll pull the trigger on unlocking here soon. Cheers!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
 
zabih107
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 133
Join Date: Aug 2012
Your welcome and have fun, which I'm sure you will

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
 
Sleeepy2
Old
#5  
Sleeepy2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 713
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oshawa
This is not 100% true. The current official ROM will only flash with the stock recovery installed and not a custom one, so I would assume the same for any update.
It's not an issue to flash the stock recovery back but it will be an extra step.
Also if and when an official KitKat comes out you will more than likely have to wait until a new recovery is made that is compatible for a custom ROM after that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Carbon Rom for now

ASUS Transformer TF701
ROM: CROMi-X

HP TouchPad
ROM: CM 10 something or other.
 
berndblb
Old
#6  
berndblb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 874
Posts: 2,683
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeepy2 View Post
This is not 100% true. The current official ROM will only flash with the stock recovery installed and not a custom one, so I would assume the same for any update.
It's not an issue to flash the stock recovery back but it will be an extra step.
Also if and when an official KitKat comes out you will more than likely have to wait until a new recovery is made that is compatible for a custom ROM after that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
And this is very likely 100% true.
I never understand why people are pining for the stock rom - no matter which version or update....
I would feel helpless and lost with only the stock recovery! Lately I've been trying to help several people on stock firmware with corrupted data, no custom recovery, no root, locked bootloader.... You're toast!
All you can do is send it in to Asus and pay a bundle! Whereas unlocked you just fire up fastboot or custom recovery and start to fix it!
Besides - once Asus releases a KK version for this tablet you can bet your.... house that sbdags will have a custom version of it out in no time. And it's going to be better than Asus firmware, receive frequent updates, can be flashed with a custom recovery....
A no-brainer IMHO
 
Sleeepy2
Old
#7  
Sleeepy2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 713
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oshawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb View Post
And this is very likely 100% true.
I never understand why people are pining for the stock rom - no matter which version or update....
I would feel helpless and lost with only the stock recovery! Lately I've been trying to help several people on stock firmware with corrupted data, no custom recovery, no root, locked bootloader.... You're toast!
All you can do is send it in to Asus and pay a bundle! Whereas unlocked you just fire up fastboot or custom recovery and start to fix it!
Besides - once Asus releases a KK version for this tablet you can bet your.... house that sbdags will have a custom version of it out in no time. And it's going to be better than Asus firmware, receive frequent updates, can be flashed with a custom recovery....
A no-brainer IMHO
I'll agree with that 100%

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Carbon Rom for now

ASUS Transformer TF701
ROM: CROMi-X

HP TouchPad
ROM: CM 10 something or other.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Submitting a Patch to Gerrit – Featuring XplodWild – XDA Developer TV

Not every developer specializes in every area of … more

Learn How to Make a Live Wallpaper all by Yourself

Stillimages can bebeautiful, but some of you prefer to see animations on your screens. … more

Google Play Services Updated to Version 6.1

In addition to Android operating system proper, Google is focusing hard on giving the developers … more

CyanogenMod 11 M10 Available for Supported Devices

Summer vacation isover for most students out there, and it’s the time to get back to … more