Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official KitKat ROM Issue - Can't Download/Write Files to External SD (3rd Party App)

Tip us?

Phoenix.Mobiplanet
Old
(Last edited by Phoenix.Mobiplanet; 12th April 2014 at 08:51 AM.) Reason: Screenshot information added.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Phone Official KitKat ROM Issue - Can't Download/Write Files to External SD (3rd Party App)

Hello everyone, as you all know, Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 has recently been updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat officially. Indeed it's a great news but it has many drawbacks too, and I think among them, removing the permission to write data directly into the External SD card by 3rd Party Apps (eg. 'UC Browser', 'Flud' etc.) is the most significant one. The International Octa-core variant of GT-I9500 has 16GB of Internal Storage but the TouchWiz and Android OS itself eats up almost half of it and leaves only about 8.5GB user-available. If you're a hardcore user like me and often download Gigs. of data from internet, then you might also be feeling that the little internal storage is not sufficient at all for us. I've already expanded my device's storage by inserting a 64GB Strontium Nitro 566X UHS-1 MicroSDXC card but the dumb concept of seizing the data Write permission to External SD of 3rd Party Apps by KitKat really deserted us (perhaps that's why I always preferred 'Bournville' more than the 'KitKat'). Downloading to Internal Storage and then moving it to the External Storage using the existing explorer - "My Files" can be seemed to be a good solution but not the best one.

But, luckily, I found where the problem is. Under root > etc > permissions > platform.xml you'll find "<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"> tag and under it, the following values exist:

<group gid="sdcard_r">
<group gid="sdcard_rw">.

What you'll have to do is, add one more line:

<group gid="media_rw">

and reboot your device. The problem should be resolved.
I've attached the two screenshots - one of Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2 KitKat and one of Galaxy Grand running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Galaxy Grand Screenshot

Galaxy S4 Screenshot

But I'm pretty confused about it. Will the warranty be void after applying the changes or not? Will the device status still remain Official or become Custom? Does anyone know the answers of my questions?
Please hit thanks, if my post seems to be helpful.
"Life is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing." - William Shakespeare

RubbaBand
Old
Thanks Meter 219

DONATE TO ME
you will need root access to modify these things !
and the editing it self wont trip knox but the rooting will do !
there is a Saferoot method and it will not trip knox
but i prefer if you wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache then flash Stock rom
one of these method will 100% work for you
Device : GT-I9500
ROM(s) : Stock 4.4.2
CyanogenMod11
Crash Rom
@The Same Device

IF You Do Like My Work Please Consider A Small Donation
The Following User Says Thank You to RubbaBand For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
android kitkat issue, failure downloads kitkat, kitkat, s4 download fail