Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,157 Members 43,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cheeky question

Tip us?

Kirkymole
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Default Cheeky question

Is there a way to flash (using flashtool) a FTF of the latest ROM that has is rooted and has a customer recovery.

I'm on the latest update of 4.4.2 but am a little nervous about playing round too much in terms of loading recovery onto it. A flashtool flash would be much easier.

My bootloader is locked but I can unlock it. It previously was locked anyway but relocked to update to 4.4

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
If it's broke, use a hammer. If that fails, you're not using a big enough hammer.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
You can flash the Recovery on Locked and Unrooted Android. Download TWRP .zip and Install. Now you have the recovery.

Also you can unlock bootlader and flash an Advanced Kernel with Implemented Recovery, Done.

BTW, before attempt to Unlock Bootlader I will recommend to Backup TA first, then Unlock.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kirkymole
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
You can flash the Recovery on Locked and Unrooted Android. Download TWRP .zip and Install. Now you have the recovery.

Also you can unlock bootlader and flash an Advanced Kernel with Implemented Recovery, Done.

BTW, before attempt to Unlock Bootlader I will recommend to Backup TA first, then Unlock.
Thank you sir, when you say download TWRP do you mean flash it with flashtool or install it on the phone as per a normal app?

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
If it's broke, use a hammer. If that fails, you're not using a big enough hammer.

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3812
you cannot flash anything other than FTF files in flashmode with flashtool, and you cannot make any changes to FTF files like you suggest

The way to get to a rooted 4.4.2 rom is this

Flash a FTF file ending in .534 using flashtool (Look in the mega collection thread)
Install dual recovery (Look in the cross device development section)
Flash a pre rooted 4.4.2 rom (Look in the development section)

All download and instructions will be in the OP of the relevant threads

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
.. and you cannot make any changes to FTF files like you suggest
..do I?
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
..do I?
I was speaking to the OP

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.