5,606,095 Members 42,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I backup to extsdcard in MyBackupPro 4.0.5 on KitKat 4.4.2 on my i9505?

Tip us?

Pfeffernuss
Old
Thanks Meter 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by okizen View Post
Hi DarkCase

I've got Root Explorer 3.16 but I can't seem to edit the platform.xml file.
Did you press this first?

Samsung i9505 Galaxy S4 • GE 4.4.2 by Danvdh 08-04-2014 • Default kernel • XXUFNA1
Nexus7 2013 Flo • CM11 4.4.2 non-CAF • ElementalX 2.6 kernel • KOT49H
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 • AOKP CM10.3 • Default kernel
HTC Flyer 3G • ICS Yetki 1.2 • ChaosX 2.6.35.10 kernel

ahdeshpande
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCase View Post
In the last few days Samsung has been pushing out Android 4.4.2 to flagship devices like the Galaxy
Note III and Galaxy S4. Unfortunately, Google implemented an SD card write restriction in the latest
Android version which can be quite annoying for users with an SD card in their phone.
The new “feature” basically restricts apps from writing to external SD cards. This can be quite
annoying, because many users want to store apps on a secondary SD card instead of the main storage
unit.
Luckily, how to fixing this problem can be easily done if you have root access. Here’s how you can do it
(Please be aware that you’re performing these changes on your own risk!):

Make sure that you have root access

1. Perform a NANDROID backup to be completely safe
2. Use a root-enabled file manager and navigate to /system/etc/permissions
3. Edit platform.xml and find “WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE“
4. Add an additional group definition for this permission: <group gid=”media_rw” />
5. Save the changes and restart your device
6. You are now able to write on your external SD card again
I hope that I was able to help you.

Thanks , it worked for me
Samsung Galaxy Note II

bradavon
Old
(Last edited by bradavon; 13th April 2014 at 12:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I'm having the same problem too. I've e-mailed the developers of MyBackup Pro to see if they've got any ideas.

It says MyBackup Pro 4.0.9 fixes KitKat issues, it doesn't fix this one!

I will if I have to but I don't want to or see why I should have to, effectively break (root) my Galaxy S4 just to backup to SD card when it worked fine with Jellybean 4.3. I don't need Root access otherwise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of this is mentioned in Google's KitKat Release Notes or on-screen when the Samsung Update Notification appeared. So far KitKat has broken for me:

1. SMS Backup+ prior to KitKat could restore SMS messages back to the phone, it can still back them up but not restore
2. LG G Pad's QPair It still works but used to be blue when connected, white when not connected. Now that everything is white (), it's grey when not connected and white when connected. No where near as clear.
3. MyBackup Pro can no longer backup to SD card

Being able to backup to SD card is obviously crucial!

I've seen zero benefits from going from Jellybean 4.3 to Kitkat.

danielshmuel
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCase View Post
In the last few days Samsung has been pushing out Android 4.4.2 to flagship devices like the Galaxy
Note III and Galaxy S4. Unfortunately, Google implemented an SD card write restriction in the latest
Android version which can be quite annoying for users with an SD card in their phone.
The new “feature” basically restricts apps from writing to external SD cards. This can be quite
annoying, because many users want to store apps on a secondary SD card instead of the main storage
unit.
Luckily, how to fixing this problem can be easily done if you have root access. Here’s how you can do it
(Please be aware that you’re performing these changes on your own risk!):

Make sure that you have root access

1. Perform a NANDROID backup to be completely safe
2. Use a root-enabled file manager and navigate to /system/etc/permissions
3. Edit platform.xml and find “WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE“
4. Add an additional group definition for this permission: <group gid=”media_rw” />
5. Save the changes and restart your device
6. You are now able to write on your external SD card again
I hope that I was able to help you.
++++++++1111111