Tab pro 8.4 WiFi issues??

Search This thread

cloud71

Jan 31, 2012
apostolic.dowagiaclighthouse.com
Took the back off today, was looking at it. The thing is is that theres really nothing that you can do that won't void warrenty or damage the tab.

They could have placed antenna some place else but they didnt.

I was going to take some good quality closeups but I didn't have my camera atm.

If I can get around to it, I'm going to do a youtube video of the disassembly.
Not sure when I'll have the time though

Sent from the Galaxy TabPro 8.4 aboard the StarShip Enterprise

kctrading.net

Mar 30, 2014
My Fix!

MY FIX.....

Never had range issues like some have notice, but my speed was always down 25% to 40% on both my and wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Decided to do a hard boot on both my modem and router so everything was reset to defalt on the WRT54GS Linksys G router. Using Time Warner cable Cisco router. (turbo plan).

I am happy to report that speed is now the same on both 8.4's and matches my laptop and other devices in speed...the noticeable lag on packets is also gone when using speedtest.net

BEFORE: Download: 15.23 to 11.16 AFTER: 18.88 to 22.65
BEFORE: Upload: 1.34 to 2.02 AFTER: 2.95 to 3.31

So if you have a speed issue I highly recommend that you do a hard boot on both your modem and router before replacing anything! On Linksys G router all you need to do is with the router powered on push in the reset button for about 10 seconds until the front WLAN starts flashing then release it...then turn off the router for about 30 seconds and turn back on. Do the same for the Modem as there is a reset button on it as well...You will then need to reset your security by logging into your router and enter 192.168.1.1 as the web address. Your defalt user/password is: admin Make sure you change both it and the "Administration" password as anyone can get in there and change your settings. While you are in Administration screen make sure you click the "Enable" Wireless Access Web as the defalt is Disabled! Next, In the Wireless setting screen use the higher security WPA2 Personal setting and enter your new or old "WPA Shared Key" as this is the ID you will need to change on all your devices to log on to your internet. You may need to reboot your windows computers and reset new home connections, did not have to do this on the tablets.

Hope this helps some of you!

KC

Last edited:

Austrian Monkey

Apr 17, 2014
no wifi issue since samsung shop flashed stock rom again

hi there, i'm new to this forum and i'm from austria so my english is crap, sorry. to the issue: i had the same problem with my new galaxy tab pro 8.4 wifi (low wifi connection, wifi-spot-search problems and ongoing lost of wifi connections) and brought it to an samsung shop. i got it back today and they flashed the original samsung stock rom again. since than i have no wifi issues at all. it's now even faster than my ipad 2 at wifi :p so maybe there's hope that it's an software issue :victory:

ukhairyman

May 11, 2014
wifi on tab pro 8.4 very poor

I know a lot about WiFi and it has nothing to do with my equipment. I have an airport extreme new version and also a Linksys bridged upstairs through a power line Ethernet kit. All my devices are fine except this one. Not saying the speed is slow just low signal where other devices are full..... The speed is fine just weak signal

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

Hi yes my wifi on tab pro 8.4 is terrible less than 12meg at 5 metres from router, no better on the companies router or on my neighbours router. My old sony my 16th shone connects at 72 meg at 20mtre range . I have tried two nexus 10 tablets both performed the same as the tab pro. I am fairly sure it's a kit kat 4.4.2 issue as the nexus 10s were on until they updated to kkit with connection at 20meg at 10 metre range on jellybean 4.2.2 . Tab came supplied with kit kat and was slow out of the box.
Great disappointment I returned the first nexus 10 for a replacement second one of till kit kat update returned for a refund.

I think the tab pro will have to go back to John Lewis as the wifi is slow and very short range.

When I called samsung about the nexus 10s they said kit kat was defective and I should have disabled auto updates!!

Any ideas as to what I can do. I love the feel and looks of the tab pro. 4 and the screen is amazing to see and use.
I am sadly thinking the apple route is the way to go or maybe get a cheap older model of android tablet that is stuck on jellybean.

Help!!

animedreamer240

Mar 1, 2014
I thought that my Tab Pro 8.4 had terrible wifi issues. It would disconnect about 1-3 times every hour. My previous tablet, the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012 edition), did not have these issues, and my laptop would stay connected even when the Tab Pro did not. However, after replacing my old modem with a new one (Motorola Surfboard), the wifi issues just...disappeared. And the wifi download/upload speed is roughly the same for my tablet and laptop. Now I'm thinking that the old modem was partly to blame. I can't explain why only the Tab Pro was affected before, but it's all good now...

Well, with me being a radio man since the 70's, (I'm probably the oldest one on XDA!) here's my take on it.

Since the antenna is in the worst area, bottom left in portrait like everyone says, it gets detuned by the capacitance in your hand when the device is held in that spot. Detuning an antenna, especially one that runs full duplex, (TX and RX at the same time) will greatly degrade signal strength. That's why all these troubles. Only solution is hold the tab in another spot. The engineer that did this design must've been hallucinating when he/she decided on a bottom left location, especially since most of us are right handed and would hold the tab right where the antenna is. What a bummer. :( Added to this is the fact that wifi is very low power.

Like it or not, that little foil that is used for the antenna is designed and tuned for the specific range of frequencies that it's supposed to cover, so mucking around with it hardware-wise will make things worse.

Bet you folks that are lefties or using the tab in landscape aren't having any wifi issues at all!

Rich

cloud71

Jan 31, 2012
apostolic.dowagiaclighthouse.com
I really don't notice wifi issue either, I have a 6mb down and 1 or 2 mb up frontier.

I do see a drop on the graph when using an app that show wifi strenth, when holding that corner though

so overall, it's not bothering me, if I download or up load something big like 100mb or bigger like game data I usually set tab down while it's doing that anyway.

God Bless

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

byrds8

Jul 24, 2011
So is there absolutely no fix for the crappy WiFi? Mine is fine inside the house but the moment I step on the porch and use the tablet like it was designed by holding that bottom left corner it is gone.

rbel13

Jul 2, 2014
I am on my second galaxy pro 8.4 and having the same issue. It works fine until I hold it from the bottom left corner. I lose close to 20 dBm by holding it there and then eventually it disconnects. I wonder if the antenna placement has been fixed in 8.4S....................

Schemerlamp

Jun 1, 2010
My wife owns this laggy device. No wifi signal when I have full wifi.
Before i do, has anybody tried a aosp or a cm rom to fix the wifi issue?

Greetz ray

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T310 met Tapatalk

locutusx

Feb 1, 2013
I had a Best Buy Samsung rep confirm that its a design flaw.

LOL, i wouldn't trust a "best buy rep" even if he told me the sky was blue... :p

with respect to the Tab Pro WiFi issues, quite a few people are saying the new "NF3" firmware fixes it.

that said, even on the older firmwares it only seems to be an issue if you hold the tab in the bottom left hand corner (when viewed in portrait mode)

Schemerlamp

Jun 1, 2010
I noticed That if bluetooth is off the wifi is more stable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

Skire90

Nov 27, 2012
Amsterdam
I have just returned this tablet to the store and asked my money back. The WiFi problem is unacceptable to me.

When I hold the tablet the way you are supposed to hold it when you are right handed, the WiFi signal drops significantly. One floor up from where the router is placed, my iPhone 4 from 2010 was able to reach a 20Mbps download speed whereas the Tab Pro only was able to reach 0.86Mbps.

When you are a multi-billion company it is literally beyond me that you have the courage to release a flawed product like this. No Samsung product for me anymore in the foreseeable future.

achillesgk

Apr 24, 2011
I have the same wifi issue when I am holding it from the bottom left corner. I am afraid that is a hardware problem.

Last edited:

geonautics

Feb 14, 2011
WiFi Settings/Scan Network Not Available From Sleep to Wake

My WiFi connection is fine, but at random times, I am unable to access the WiFi setting/scan for available network from sleep. In other words, had the screen off, then wake it an hour later; the WiFi icon disappeared, but WiFi connection works, connects to the previously trusted network. However, I cannot scan or see the available network in the settings, i.e. select another hotspot, nor turn on/off. In order to remedy the issue, I had to turn the Airplane mode on/off or reboot . Any thoughts. Thanks in advance. BTW - under the WiFi>Advanced settings, I selected keep WiFi on during sleep when plugged-in.

Last edited:

k1ng617

Aug 22, 2010
Bluetooth major issue with Wifi

I completely agree. I wonder if some of you are experiencing the bluetooth/wifi conflict. For instance, I like to use a bluetooth speaker to listen to music or maybe watch youtube videos since it's much better than the stock tab speakers. I can watch youtube perfectly fine w/o the speaker synced but once I sync it my video starts to buffer constantly. Sometimes a small notification pops up saying that it connected to my home wifi (even if it already was).

Although far from scientific, I did a few runs of speedtest under different scenarios. There was a clear dip in DL speeds when I was playing music through my BT speaker. Music through just the tablet's speaker did not hinder the connection at all. (screenshot attached).

RUNS:
1 - BT OFF
2 - BT ON
3 - BT ON AND PLAYING
4 - BT OFF AND PLAYING
5 - BT ON AGAIN AND PLAYING

Reactions: Schemerlamp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Fix!

MY FIX.....

Never had range issues like some have notice, but my speed was always down 25% to 40% on both my and wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Decided to do a hard boot on both my modem and router so everything was reset to defalt on the WRT54GS Linksys G router. Using Time Warner cable Cisco router. (turbo plan).

I am happy to report that speed is now the same on both 8.4's and matches my laptop and other devices in speed...the noticeable lag on packets is also gone when using speedtest.net

BEFORE: Download: 15.23 to 11.16 AFTER: 18.88 to 22.65
    BEFORE: Upload: 1.34 to 2.02 AFTER: 2.95 to 3.31

So if you have a speed issue I highly recommend that you do a hard boot on both your modem and router before replacing anything! On Linksys G router all you need to do is with the router powered on push in the reset button for about 10 seconds until the front WLAN starts flashing then release it...then turn off the router for about 30 seconds and turn back on. Do the same for the Modem as there is a reset button on it as well...You will then need to reset your security by logging into your router and enter 192.168.1.1 as the web address. Your defalt user/password is: admin Make sure you change both it and the "Administration" password as anyone can get in there and change your settings. While you are in Administration screen make sure you click the "Enable" Wireless Access Web as the defalt is Disabled! Next, In the Wireless setting screen use the higher security WPA2 Personal setting and enter your new or old "WPA Shared Key" as this is the ID you will need to change on all your devices to log on to your internet. You may need to reboot your windows computers and reset new home connections, did not have to do this on the tablets.

Hope this helps some of you!

KC
    The two devices to which I can compare the wifi performance are a nexus 7 flo and an Lg G2. It seems that areas in my house where I normally get decent signal strength with the other two devices I am barely connected with the tab pro. Is anyone else getting poor wifi performance with this tablet? Maybe I just need to move my surfboard to the center of my house?

After factory reset wifi issue is gone. I thk it might of started cause of some of the bloat that I turned off

I am getting 15-20dbm better signal when turn tablet to landscape and not touching left bottom corner as WIFI antenna seems to be below left speaker
    Check attachment

This is just a workaround not a solution. I hope Samsung will provide a fix for this.
    I was so enthusiastic about buying this tablet but I see that there are so many issue: wifi, sound and even screen sensibility.
    The Tab pro 8.4 is supposed to be a high-end tab. What have you done Samsung :mad: ?!
    Bluetooth major issue with Wifi

I completely agree. I wonder if some of you are experiencing the bluetooth/wifi conflict. For instance, I like to use a bluetooth speaker to listen to music or maybe watch youtube videos since it's much better than the stock tab speakers. I can watch youtube perfectly fine w/o the speaker synced but once I sync it my video starts to buffer constantly. Sometimes a small notification pops up saying that it connected to my home wifi (even if it already was).

Although far from scientific, I did a few runs of speedtest under different scenarios. There was a clear dip in DL speeds when I was playing music through my BT speaker. Music through just the tablet's speaker did not hinder the connection at all. (screenshot attached).

RUNS:
    1 - BT OFF
    2 - BT ON
    3 - BT ON AND PLAYING
    4 - BT OFF AND PLAYING
    5 - BT ON AGAIN AND PLAYING