Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] SafeStrap Question (First experience with Custom Recovery)

OP ShimmyShimmin

10th April 2014, 08:00 AM   |  #1  
ShimmyShimmin's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
I'm about to attempt installing SafeStrap to my GS4 (i337/MF3) and I have a few questions, as a "n00b"

1. Do I have to install a ROM to use the backup functionality? The main reason I want a Custom Recovery is so I can make a complete backup of my phone. The fact that you have to partition the internal storage has turned me off towards ROMs for the moment. I may dabble in ROMs at some point, but not anytime soon.

2. Does Xposed require a ROM? I'm interested in playing with Xposed modules & the framework.

3. The dev thread for this device's version of SS mentions downloading specific "Kernel Modules". What are these & why do I need them?

Thank you so much for any advice/tips! If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Note 1: My GS4 is already rooted
Last edited by ShimmyShimmin; 10th April 2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added another question
10th April 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #2  
jtchinoy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
115 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
No, you dont need a rom for either. As long as youre rooted with SuperSU installed, you can do both. After installing Safestrap's recovery, boot to recovery and make a backup in your external sd.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtchinoy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2014, 08:25 AM   |  #3  
ShimmyShimmin's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchinoy

No, you dont need a rom for either. As long as youre rooted with SuperSU installed, you can do both. After installing Safestrap's recovery, boot to recovery and make a backup in your external sd.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wow - Thanks for the quick response!

If I'm not using ROMs (or creating "slots"), will I still need to create a partition? I'm curious if I need to delete a bunch of stuff; my internal storage only has ~1gb free.
10th April 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 35
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmyShimmin

Wow - Thanks for the quick response!

If I'm not using ROMs (or creating "slots"), will I still need to create a partition? I'm curious if I need to delete a bunch of stuff; my internal storage only has ~1gb free.

No, thats only for dual booting roms or installing a new rom without wiping the stock rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thr33-F0ur For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #5  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,307 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmyShimmin

I'm about to attempt installing SafeStrap to my GS4 (i337/MF3) and I have a few questions, as a "n00b"

1. Do I have to install a ROM to use the backup functionality? The main reason I want a Custom Recovery is so I can make a complete backup of my phone. The fact that you have to partition the internal storage has turned me off towards ROMs for the moment. I may dabble in ROMs at some point, but not anytime soon.

2. Does Xposed require a ROM? I'm interested in playing with Xposed modules & the framework.

3. The dev thread for this device's version of SS mentions downloading specific "Kernel Modules". What are these & why do I need them?

Thank you so much for any advice/tips! If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Note 1: My GS4 is already rooted

To make everything completely clear:

1) You don't need a ROM to back up, and you don't need slots unless you want multiple ROMs at once.

2) Xposed is built to be installed to any ROM. Modules can be specific to AOSP and Touchwiz or others, but there are plenty for each.

3) Kernel modules are just that, modules that hook into the kernel to give extra functionality. For example, they add WiFi and stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 04:17 AM   |  #6  
ShimmyShimmin's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9

To make everything completely clear:

1) You don't need a ROM to back up, and you don't need slots unless you want multiple ROMs at once.

2) Xposed is built to be installed to any ROM. Modules can be specific to AOSP and Touchwiz or others, but there are plenty for each.

3) Kernel modules are just that, modules that hook into the kernel to give extra functionality. For example, they add WiFi and stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0

You rock man. Thanks!

I think this pretty much clears everything up for me. I need to do a little research on "Kernels". I'm guessing from your 3rd point, though, that a lot of my phones basic functions won't work with SS "out of the box". Definitely glad I didn't rush into this last night!
11th April 2014, 06:10 AM   |  #7  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,307 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmyShimmin

You rock man. Thanks!

I think this pretty much clears everything up for me. I need to do a little research on "Kernels". I'm guessing from your 3rd point, though, that a lot of my phones basic functions won't work with SS "out of the box". Definitely glad I didn't rush into this last night!

Not too many, just a few functions. And it's not kernels, it's specifically the modules you can find in the same download section of the Safestrap thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #8  
megamanDJ's Avatar
Member
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 13
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Don't try to flash any kernels to your i337! If you don't plan on installing any roms to the slots then SS is really only used for a recovery and update tool. The modules are used to fix radio issues and whatnot with certain roms. I've used several different roms on this phone and found that I like the stock rom better when I just customize it through xposed and Android Tuner app. I didn't like every setting that the devs used when cooking the roms even though they had awesome themes. There are countless options when tuning the stock rom when using the right methods. The only thing we can't do is flash any kernels until the bootloader is unlocked, and it'll be a while before we see that.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes