Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,824 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SafeStrap Question (First experience with Custom Recovery)

Tip us?

ShimmyShimmin
Old
(Last edited by ShimmyShimmin; 10th April 2014 at 07:45 AM.) Reason: Added another question
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] SafeStrap Question (First experience with Custom Recovery)

I'm about to attempt installing SafeStrap to my GS4 (i337/MF3) and I have a few questions, as a "n00b"

1. Do I have to install a ROM to use the backup functionality? The main reason I want a Custom Recovery is so I can make a complete backup of my phone. The fact that you have to partition the internal storage has turned me off towards ROMs for the moment. I may dabble in ROMs at some point, but not anytime soon.

2. Does Xposed require a ROM? I'm interested in playing with Xposed modules & the framework.

3. The dev thread for this device's version of SS mentions downloading specific "Kernel Modules". What are these & why do I need them?

Thank you so much for any advice/tips! If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Note 1: My GS4 is already rooted

jtchinoy
Old
Thanks Meter 17
No, you dont need a rom for either. As long as youre rooted with SuperSU installed, you can do both. After installing Safestrap's recovery, boot to recovery and make a backup in your external sd.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtchinoy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShimmyShimmin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchinoy View Post
No, you dont need a rom for either. As long as youre rooted with SuperSU installed, you can do both. After installing Safestrap's recovery, boot to recovery and make a backup in your external sd.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Wow - Thanks for the quick response!

If I'm not using ROMs (or creating "slots"), will I still need to create a partition? I'm curious if I need to delete a bunch of stuff; my internal storage only has ~1gb free.

Thr33-F0ur
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmyShimmin View Post
Wow - Thanks for the quick response!

If I'm not using ROMs (or creating "slots"), will I still need to create a partition? I'm curious if I need to delete a bunch of stuff; my internal storage only has ~1gb free.
No, thats only for dual booting roms or installing a new rom without wiping the stock rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thr33-F0ur For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'm about to attempt installing SafeStrap to my GS4 (i337/MF3) and I have a few questions, as a "n00b"

1. Do I have to install a ROM to use the backup functionality? The main reason I want a Custom Recovery is so I can make a complete backup of my phone. The fact that you have to partition the internal storage has turned me off towards ROMs for the moment. I may dabble in ROMs at some point, but not anytime soon.

2. Does Xposed require a ROM? I'm interested in playing with Xposed modules & the framework.

3. The dev thread for this device's version of SS mentions downloading specific "Kernel Modules". What are these & why do I need them?

Thank you so much for any advice/tips! If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Note 1: My GS4 is already rooted
To make everything completely clear:

1) You don't need a ROM to back up, and you don't need slots unless you want multiple ROMs at once.

2) Xposed is built to be installed to any ROM. Modules can be specific to AOSP and Touchwiz or others, but there are plenty for each.

3) Kernel modules are just that, modules that hook into the kernel to give extra functionality. For example, they add WiFi and stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShimmyShimmin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
To make everything completely clear:

1) You don't need a ROM to back up, and you don't need slots unless you want multiple ROMs at once.

2) Xposed is built to be installed to any ROM. Modules can be specific to AOSP and Touchwiz or others, but there are plenty for each.

3) Kernel modules are just that, modules that hook into the kernel to give extra functionality. For example, they add WiFi and stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0
You rock man. Thanks!

I think this pretty much clears everything up for me. I need to do a little research on "Kernels". I'm guessing from your 3rd point, though, that a lot of my phones basic functions won't work with SS "out of the box". Definitely glad I didn't rush into this last night!

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You rock man. Thanks!

I think this pretty much clears everything up for me. I need to do a little research on "Kernels". I'm guessing from your 3rd point, though, that a lot of my phones basic functions won't work with SS "out of the box". Definitely glad I didn't rush into this last night!
Not too many, just a few functions. And it's not kernels, it's specifically the modules you can find in the same download section of the Safestrap thread.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

megamanDJ
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Don't try to flash any kernels to your i337! If you don't plan on installing any roms to the slots then SS is really only used for a recovery and update tool. The modules are used to fix radio issues and whatnot with certain roms. I've used several different roms on this phone and found that I like the stock rom better when I just customize it through xposed and Android Tuner app. I didn't like every setting that the devs used when cooking the roms even though they had awesome themes. There are countless options when tuning the stock rom when using the right methods. The only thing we can't do is flash any kernels until the bootloader is unlocked, and it'll be a while before we see that.