Originally Posted by ShimmyShimmin
I'm about to attempt installing SafeStrap to my GS4 (i337/MF3) and I have a few questions, as a "n00b"
1. Do I have
to install a ROM to use the backup functionality? The main reason I want a Custom Recovery is so I can make a complete backup of my phone. The fact that you have to partition the internal storage has turned me off towards ROMs for the moment. I may dabble in ROMs at some point, but not anytime soon.
2. Does Xposed require a ROM? I'm interested in playing with Xposed modules & the framework.
3. The dev thread for this device's version of SS
mentions downloading specific "Kernel Modules". What are these & why do I need them?
Thank you so much for any advice/tips! If you need any additional information, please let me know.
Note 1: My GS4 is already rooted
To make everything completely clear:
1) You don't need a ROM to back up, and you don't need slots unless you want multiple ROMs at once.
2) Xposed is built to be installed to any ROM. Modules can be specific to AOSP and Touchwiz or others, but there are plenty for each.
3) Kernel modules are just that, modules that hook into the kernel to give extra functionality. For example, they add WiFi and stuff.
Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)