Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,713 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[method] change play store download location

Tip us?

xday123
Old
(Last edited by xday123; 10th April 2014 at 03:59 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thumbs up [method] change play store download location

Hi guys, today i am here to tell you a method only tested on a galaxy y, but i hope it will work for all. this is a method to change the download location for play store.

WARNING!!!

1. WARRANTY IS NOW VOID.
2. NOT MY PROBLEM IF SOME APP FAIL.
3. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE THIS.

This is a simple code but it needs root for sure. now the necessities are as follows:
1. A complete nandroid backup
2. Root Permissions
3. Any terminal emulator. e.g https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cticman.jsterm
4. You need to know the default download location and the mount point of sd card( if that is where you want the new download location )

Now let's start.
Just know this that mnt/sdcard will have to be replaced by your sdcard mount point and data/app will have to be replaced by the default download location. i underlined them for easy understanding.

NOT MY PROBLEM IF THIS FAILS AND YOUR PLAY STORE CRASHES. JUST DO A NANDROID RESTORE.

THERE WILL ALREADY BE A $ AT START SO U DON'T HAVE TO PUT IT.

Quote:
$ su
# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/playstore
# cp -r /data/app/* /mnt/sdcard/playstore
# rm -rf /data/app
# ln -s /mnt/sdcard/playstore /data/app
what the code does:
1. Grant super user permissions
2. Make a directory in sdcard named playstore.
3. Copy all items (recursively) from data/app to sdcard/playstore
4.Symlink the new location to fake the original.

Hitting Thanks can help.
and once again PLEASE BACKUP BEFORE THIS AND RESTORE IF NOT SUCCESSFUL.

This is based on the code used by link2sd.

DThought
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Could you please double check your code fragments?

For me it looks, like you create a directory "playstore", but then copy to a directory "playstore-temp", which will most like not exist at that moment.

The ln you're using can't realy work as long as the /data/app directory is still in place... so you would first need to delete /rename it.

Just my 2

xday123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThought View Post
Could you please double check your code fragments?

For me it looks, like you create a directory "playstore", but then copy to a directory "playstore-temp", which will most like not exist at that moment.

The ln you're using can't realy work as long as the /data/app directory is still in place... so you would first need to delete /rename it.

Just my 2
looks like i was drunk making so much mistakes . corrected it.

Cyr4x
Old
(Last edited by Cyr4x; 13th April 2014 at 09:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
It's not so simple if you use Link2SD. If you link some apps to sdext partition, some files in /data/app are symlinks which cannont be copied to /mnt/sdcard/playstore as it's FAT32. You have to try to symlink /app/data to folder on sdext partition. Create a folder /data/sdext2/playstore, copy /data/app/* there, delete /data/app and symlink /data/sdext2/playstore as /data/app. Sdext partition uses linux filesystem and all symlinks should work properly. I haven't tested it yet, but will do in a minute.

EDIT:
It doesn't work with Link2SD. Phone hangs on boot. It's probably cause Link2SD app must be directly in internal memory (so in real /data/app, not symlinked). I'll try to symlink /data/data or /data/dalvik-cache to save some internal memory but I doubt it'll work.
Tags
android, play store