Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems with freezing and phone soft-resetting itself

Tip us?

chronostorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Sorry for the late response. Just a couple days ago I ODIN'ed back to stock, but unfortunately, the problem is still there

Sent from my SPH-L900

chronostorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Is it possible a logcat would help? If I remember right, it's difficult to grab a logcat for sudden and random restarts, right?

Regardless, taking a look at a logcat app, it seems I do get a decent number of errors. I'll look into this a bit more when I get some more time after my current set of exams

chronostorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
bumping my thread! Still no luck. Anybody have any additional ideas?

Harjan112
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronostorm View Post
bumping my thread! Still no luck. Anybody have any additional ideas?
Give the Odin One-Click a try from @rwilco12 found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591898 this is MK4 or you can try here @rwilco12 forum found here http://rwilco12.com/downloads.php?di...9/Stock%20ROMs and pick and choose what version you want

Hoping this might help you

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Harjan112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chronostorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjan112 View Post
Give the Odin One-Click a try from @rwilco12 found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591898 this is MK4 or you can try here @rwilco12 forum found here http://rwilco12.com/downloads.php?di...9/Stock%20ROMs and pick and choose what version you want

Hoping this might help you

I tried using your method! The phone has frozen once in the first hour I've been toying with it, but I don't know if it's the same issue. Hopefully it'll work! I'll report back after using my phone for a while

chronostorm
Old
(Last edited by chronostorm; 13th April 2014 at 05:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Soooooo interesting thing that I found out. My data folder isn't actually being wiped in all this! I went to check it out and it turns out some app files in /data/data/ are still there even after ODIN, full wipes, etc.

Harjan112
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Soooooo interesting thing that I found out. My data folder isn't actually being wiped in all this! I went to check it out and it turns out some app files in /data/data/ are still there even after ODIN, full wipes, etc.
Not to doubt your intelligence but merely just to make sure, which one-click version did you end up getting, because there are two (2) versions ... full restore and NoData restore Rooted and unrooted, I believe MK4 hasn't have rooted version and only full restore.

Have you tried a factory reset after one-click that should wipe it.

I used the MC2 full restore unrooted without any problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Harjan112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chronostorm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Well, with the stuff that you linked, I used the MA7 full restore rooted. (Maybe I should try the MC2 full restore unrooted) But I've also ODIN'ed stock MC2 as well. I've wiped using factory reset from the settings menu as well as through Philz and TWRP making sure system and data were both selected. I wanted to avoid knox for now, so I used older versions.

Harjan112
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Well, with the stuff that you linked, I used the MA7 full restore rooted. (Maybe I should try the MC2 full restore unrooted) But I've also ODIN'ed stock MC2 as well. I've wiped using factory reset from the settings menu as well as through Philz and TWRP making sure system and data were both selected. I wanted to avoid knox for now, so I used older versions.
Now come to think of it I might have actually done a format /system, format /cache, format /data and format /data and /data/media in philz under Mounts and Storage and rebooted into download mode and did the one-click MC2 Full Restore after that.

just make sure not to format the ext. SD card.

Give that a try.

tx_dbs_tx
Old
(Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 13th April 2014 at 09:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjan112 View Post
Now come to think of it I might have actually done a format /system, format /cache, format /data and format /data and /data/media in philz under Mounts and Storage and rebooted into download mode and did the one-click MC2 Full Restore after that.

just make sure not to format the ext. SD card.

Give that a try.

That is the best way to go about this. Stick with the stock unrooted MC2 with flash count reset via Odin. You can then use The Note 2 ToolKit to root etc. I'm thinking if your bootloader was updated via the MK4 with Knox, you should try to downgrade it back to the MC2 version. toolkit allows you to flash the older bootloaders.

Do this:

FIRST flash Phil's recovery version 6.07.9.
Then wipe everything except external sdcard. Next flash the stock unrooted MC2 with flash count reset
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2086769

Once you complete that, immediately do a rom restore from settings and verify you are on the MC2 modem and kernel.
Then use the Note 2 toolkit from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957155
At this point you need to flash the ALL IN ONE boot image, root &,recovery. I use the older version 2.0 of the ToolKit because it works best for my phone.

Once your rooted, etc. then reboot your phone into recovery and flash AGAIN Phil's recovery version 6.07.9
Then reboot recovery and once in Phil's recovery do all the wipes again and then flash the ROM of your choice.
You will also need to flash the correct modem for the ROM you flash. If you flash a JellyBean/MK4 ROM, you need to flash the MK4 modem. ROMS will have the kernel built in but if your flashing a TW ROM double check the kernel date and it doesn't hurt to reflash the stock MC2 or MK4 kernel because I have flashed a few stock TW ROMS that did not update the kernel so double check your kernel in settings-about phone.

This should get you back on track.

Tags
freezing, lag, soft-reset, stutter