Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems with freezing and phone soft-resetting itself

Tip us?
 
chronostorm
Old
#11  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Sorry for the late response. Just a couple days ago I ODIN'ed back to stock, but unfortunately, the problem is still there

Sent from my SPH-L900
 
chronostorm
Old
#12  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Is it possible a logcat would help? If I remember right, it's difficult to grab a logcat for sudden and random restarts, right?

Regardless, taking a look at a logcat app, it seems I do get a decent number of errors. I'll look into this a bit more when I get some more time after my current set of exams
 
chronostorm
Old
#13  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
bumping my thread! Still no luck. Anybody have any additional ideas?
 
Harjan112
Old
#14  
Harjan112's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 119
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronostorm View Post
bumping my thread! Still no luck. Anybody have any additional ideas?
Give the Odin One-Click a try from @rwilco12 found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591898 this is MK4 or you can try here @rwilco12 forum found here http://rwilco12.com/downloads.php?di...9/Stock%20ROMs and pick and choose what version you want


Hoping this might help you


Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Harjan112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chronostorm
Old
#15  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjan112 View Post
Give the Odin One-Click a try from @rwilco12 found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591898 this is MK4 or you can try here @rwilco12 forum found here http://rwilco12.com/downloads.php?di...9/Stock%20ROMs and pick and choose what version you want


Hoping this might help you


Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
I tried using your method! The phone has frozen once in the first hour I've been toying with it, but I don't know if it's the same issue. Hopefully it'll work! I'll report back after using my phone for a while
 
chronostorm
Old
(Last edited by chronostorm; 13th April 2014 at 05:07 PM.)
#16  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Soooooo interesting thing that I found out. My data folder isn't actually being wiped in all this! I went to check it out and it turns out some app files in /data/data/ are still there even after ODIN, full wipes, etc.
 
Harjan112
Old
#17  
Harjan112's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 119
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronostorm View Post
Soooooo interesting thing that I found out. My data folder isn't actually being wiped in all this! I went to check it out and it turns out some app files in /data/data/ are still there even after ODIN, full wipes, etc.
Not to doubt your intelligence but merely just to make sure, which one-click version did you end up getting, because there are two (2) versions ... full restore and NoData restore Rooted and unrooted, I believe MK4 hasn't have rooted version and only full restore.

Have you tried a factory reset after one-click that should wipe it.

I used the MC2 full restore unrooted without any problems.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Harjan112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chronostorm
Old
#18  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Well, with the stuff that you linked, I used the MA7 full restore rooted. (Maybe I should try the MC2 full restore unrooted) But I've also ODIN'ed stock MC2 as well. I've wiped using factory reset from the settings menu as well as through Philz and TWRP making sure system and data were both selected. I wanted to avoid knox for now, so I used older versions.
 
Harjan112
Old
#19  
Harjan112's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 119
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronostorm View Post
Well, with the stuff that you linked, I used the MA7 full restore rooted. (Maybe I should try the MC2 full restore unrooted) But I've also ODIN'ed stock MC2 as well. I've wiped using factory reset from the settings menu as well as through Philz and TWRP making sure system and data were both selected. I wanted to avoid knox for now, so I used older versions.
Now come to think of it I might have actually done a format /system, format /cache, format /data and format /data and /data/media in philz under Mounts and Storage and rebooted into download mode and did the one-click MC2 Full Restore after that.

just make sure not to format the ext. SD card.

Give that a try.


Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
 
tx_dbs_tx
Old
(Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 13th April 2014 at 09:28 PM.)
#20  
tx_dbs_tx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 162
Posts: 497
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjan112 View Post
Now come to think of it I might have actually done a format /system, format /cache, format /data and format /data and /data/media in philz under Mounts and Storage and rebooted into download mode and did the one-click MC2 Full Restore after that.

just make sure not to format the ext. SD card.

Give that a try.


Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
That is the best way to go about this. Stick with the stock unrooted MC2 with flash count reset via Odin. You can then use The Note 2 ToolKit to root etc. I'm thinking if your bootloader was updated via the MK4 with Knox, you should try to downgrade it back to the MC2 version. toolkit allows you to flash the older bootloaders.

Do this:

FIRST flash Phil's recovery version 6.07.9.
Then wipe everything except external sdcard. Next flash the stock unrooted MC2 with flash count reset
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2086769

Once you complete that, immediately do a rom restore from settings and verify you are on the MC2 modem and kernel.
Then use the Note 2 toolkit from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957155
At this point you need to flash the ALL IN ONE boot image, root &,recovery. I use the older version 2.0 of the ToolKit because it works best for my phone.

Once your rooted, etc. then reboot your phone into recovery and flash AGAIN Phil's recovery version 6.07.9
Then reboot recovery and once in Phil's recovery do all the wipes again and then flash the ROM of your choice.
You will also need to flash the correct modem for the ROM you flash. If you flash a JellyBean/MK4 ROM, you need to flash the MK4 modem. ROMS will have the kernel built in but if your flashing a TW ROM double check the kernel date and it doesn't hurt to reflash the stock MC2 or MK4 kernel because I have flashed a few stock TW ROMS that did not update the kernel so double check your kernel in settings-about phone.

This should get you back on track.

Tags
freezing, lag, soft-reset, stutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Twik Keeps Your Accounts Secure with Randomly Generated Passwords

If youre one of thosewho find it just an impossible task to keep trackof … more

Moto G 4G Receives Official CyanogenMod 11 Love

When theMoto Gwas initially released to the world in November of last year,very few actually … more

Get Your Tasks Organized on Android Wear with Agenda Wear

Having a checklist of things you need to do is something we all can find useful at … more

Top 5 LG G3 MODs – XDA Developer TV

The LG G3 has been LG’s breakout hit of the summer. Using their knowledge frombuilding some … more