Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Video Signal Drop Problem

OP halmo20

12th April 2014, 07:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

57 posts
I have Fire TV going to Pioneer Receiver then on to TV via HDMI. When I try to watch Amazon or Netflix stuff, video starts for about a second or two then the video signal drops (sound is still there)... I tried MBC On demand app and it didn't happen...
Did anyone experience the same thing?
12th April 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 67

250 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmo20

I have Fire TV going to Pioneer Receiver then on to TV via HDMI. When I try to watch Amazon or Netflix stuff, video starts for about a second or two then the video signal drops (sound is still there)... I tried MBC On demand app and it didn't happen...

Have you tried going directly into the TV and it still happens? I had a similar audio issue going into a receiver then out to a sound bar the audio would drop then come back. I plugged into the TV directly and it stopped. make sure to use the same cable to eliminate it as a possible.
12th April 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 31

146 posts
More
Quote:

I've had this happen on occasion (once every 3-5 shows) with the Hulu app in the middle of an episode. More often than not it happens right after a commercial break. Interestingly, I also have a device between my Fire TV and TV. In my case, an HDMI splitter. Do you have any issue with the Fire TV directly connected?

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I would also check the cables. I've had problems in the past resolved by replacing low quality and/or internally frayed cables.
13th April 2014, 05:49 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

57 posts
Update: Changed HDMI cable and video hasn't dropped after about 1 hour of watching stuff from Amazon/Netflix. Really odd since the cable before worked fine on another device. Will keep an eye on it...
13th April 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #5  

250 posts
Quote:

Update: Changed HDMI cable and video hasn't dropped after about 1 hour of watching stuff from Amazon/Netflix. Really odd since the cable before worked fine on another device. Will keep an eye on it...

HDMI cables are pretty much all the same. But not all devices are the same. I have spent a ton of time switching out cables one a picky device. The worst was a UG007B I had. Finally bought a set of Twisted Veins someone else mentioned working and they did. Who knows if it's minor imperfections in the cable or the device port on either end. I always keep a couple spare HDMI cables lying around now.
13th April 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 31

146 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairnage

HDMI cables are pretty much all the same. But not all devices are the same. I have spent a ton of time switching out cables one a picky device. The worst was a UG007B I had. Finally bought a set of Twisted Veins someone else mentioned working and they did. Who knows if it's minor imperfections in the cable or the device port on either end. I always keep a couple spare HDMI cables lying around now.

One other thing to consider is that every additional "link-in-the-chain" can add loss, kind of like making a copy of a copy of copy. Any one device by itself may seem fine. I've experienced this in the past, sometimes resolved by replacing with shorter or better quality cables.
13th April 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #7  

250 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomedias

One other thing to consider is that every additional "link-in-the-chain" can add loss, kind of like making a copy of a copy of copy. Any one device by itself may seem fine. I've experienced this in the past, sometimes resolved by replacing with shorter or better quality cables.

Yeah I didn't mean to say there aren't better quality cables, it's just in the price range from cheap to average there isn't much difference.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread