Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] soft Bricked with twrp recovery

Tip us?

darrenmdr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] soft Bricked with twrp recovery

Ok today I rooted my lg g2 installed twrp all fine. Then I decided to install the new kit kat Rom. All ready to go went to wipe everything to start a clean install then stupidly wiped the internal storage too. So can't restore back up and can't install the blasted Rom. Phone will get as far as the lg logo. I can get into recovery but usb mounting doesn't work and Adb sideload will not start. If I try to use Adb push it says nothing is attached. Odd thing is the storage left being reported in twrp is just over 10 gig and it is a 16 gig phone so I thought it should be more. I know if it is booting into recovery there is hope but I'm stumped . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

abced123
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenmdr View Post
Ok today I rooted my lg g2 installed twrp all fine. Then I decided to install the new kit kat Rom. All ready to go went to wipe everything to start a clean install then stupidly wiped the internal storage too. So can't restore back up and can't install the blasted Rom. Phone will get as far as the lg logo. I can get into recovery but usb mounting doesn't work and Adb sideload will not start. If I try to use Adb push it says nothing is attached. Odd thing is the storage left being reported in twrp is just over 10 gig and it is a 16 gig phone so I thought it should be more. I know if it is booting into recovery there is hope but I'm stumped . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try to flash your variant older ROM/radio . 16GB phone should have around 11-12GB as free

HolyJeepers
Old
(Last edited by HolyJeepers; 13th April 2014 at 07:55 AM.) Reason: clarity
Thanks Meter 0
Default TWRP OTG to load rom

I was using the d80010d_to_20c.zip firmware + SuperSu.zip + TWRP 2.7.0.0.zip.
i.e. "kitkat" with a custom recovery and root.
I had only the 3 above zips on the phone.

d80010d_to_20c.zip contains the kk_system and a custom kk_kernel, no bootloader.
The bootloader came from the LGFlashTool and a d80010d.tot file on my laptop.

After taking the April 8 OTA from AT&T, my phone was stuck in recovery.
Could not get into download mode or use ADB.

I made the mistake of wiping my phone hoping to get download mode to work.

I should have used the terminal in TWRP and typed:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
which has been reported to work. After wiping the phone it was too late for this.

I was stuck in TWRP 2.7.0.0 which has OTG capability, so I loaded a usb flash drive with d800_Kitkat.zip,
connected it to my phone via an OTG cable, and copied d800_Kitkat.zip to the sdcard using TWRP.
Then flashed it using TWRP. I also flashed SuperSU.zip before booting to system. I'm back to stock Kitkat + root.

I'm hoping someone with Kitkat + root reports whether the April 8 AT&T OTA works on a rooted phone.
We know it fails badly on a custom recovery phone with Jellybean bootloader/custom Kitkat kernel/Kitkat system.
AT&T claims that it just updates Google+, Google Wallet, and makes Google Hangouts the default messaging app
which sounds safe but isn't.

doom_71
Old
Thanks Meter 114
if you can get in recovery then you should also be able to get into donwload mode. Have you tried flashing a kdz for your phone through the lg flash tool?

Sent from my TF701
---------------------------------------------------
How can i be lost if i got nowhere to go

thenorm89
Old
(Last edited by thenorm89; 13th April 2014 at 10:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 74

I can confirm root on AT&T new ota is fully functional. No problems thus far. I haven't tried a custom recovery yet though

Edit. Can confirm xposed is working as well. Has anyone with the new ota and root tried this yet? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2715496

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
LG-D800
Full stock

darrenmdr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for replies been trying all day and can't pc to even recognise phone. Goes into download mode but no Adb or sub connectivity think it's drivers so trying on different pc .

darrenmdr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
[QWondarrenmdr;51867286]Thanks for replies been trying all day and can't pc to even recognise phone. Goes into download mode but no Adb or sub connectivity think it's drivers so trying on different pc .[/QUOTE]well not a lot of hope all the kdz files failed tried using Adb sideload no dice. Giving up for today will try again t I tomorrow

darrenmdr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
ok now this is getting silly. I managed eventually by using Koush's drivers to get adb to work and got cm11 working. Whoopee at least the phone works. So I make a backup. then wipe remembering this time to check the backup works. Then install new 4.4 rom. Restarts but then the touch screen input is all over the place so I can't get anything to work. Ok fine go back to recovery and restore from backup.

But noooooooooooo The flipping TWRP Recovery has gone. I can get as far as the phone saying it is going to install TWRP and reboot, but it doesn't and doesn't. The KDZ files I've found don't seem to work and the part on the lg support tool that starts updating the phone after you have changed to Korean does zip zilch nada. I can get into download mode.

So is there a CM or lightweight kdz file I can try rather than these 2 gig monstrosities?

Any idea why R and D Test tool doesn't work? I've followed instructions and videos?

Why do I do this every time I get a new phone, it was fine I could have waited but no I had to go and tinker

I know this is fixable because I can get into a software installation but I am stumped at the moment.

Any sort of help or pointing to other tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

darrenmdr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default fixed

Wow what a kerfuffle. After all that I am back to a stock 4.2 Rom with bloat but I don't care the thing works.

All that was wrong was a # in the wrong place.

Next time read and read again. It's like carpenters with their measures twice cut once