How to activate Kids Mode - AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5

OP quordandis

14th April 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 25

267 posts
More
I searched far and wide for this. The specs all seem to indicate that the ATT version of the S5, despite missing some features ( ::cough:: download booster ::cough:: ), DOES have Kids mode "enabled".....it's just you need to go through a variety of esoteric steps to activate it.

So, I apologize in advance if this is canonized somewhere else, but I couldn't find it on the web anywhere, so I'm happy to share it here:
  1. One a clear place on your home screen, tap and hold on the wallpaper (not on an icon or existing widget)
  2. This will load up the homescreen options, tap on the "widgets" box that will appear on the bottom of your screen
  3. Side-scroll until you see the widget for "Kids mode" - it's a 1x1 icon of a cartoon gator on an yellow background
  4. Tap and hold the icon and then place it anywhere on the homescreen, this will place the widget icon on your homescreen with a little arrow pointing downward (presumably indicating that this feature still has yet to be downloaded/installed/configured
  5. Tap on the icon and this will open a new window asking you to install the Kids Mode. Tap on the install button. This will proceed to download the app (reported as being 61.3MB large), and install it (you will see a bunch of toast notifications indicating your internal storage is dropping).
  6. The screen will then close and take you back to the homescreen where you left the widget - and the little downward pointing arrow should have disappeared.
  7. Tap the widget icon, then follow the instructions for activating Kids mode!
14th April 2014, 01:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

39 posts
It sucks that it is so hard to find and activate for those who want/need it, but I am relieved to see that for those of us who do not kids it is not needlessly taking up space on our phones.
14th April 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 25

267 posts
More
Agreed. At least put the dang icon on one of the homescreens so that you can quickly see how to download and activate it. I too don't have kids, so I'm happy to just uninstall it now and get back 61MB+ of space on the "stingy" 16gb storage......
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
install, kids mode, widget
Previous Thread Next Thread