FORUMS

XPrivacy for Android Lollipop – XDA Xposed Tuesday

Have you ever been on the Google Play Store and saw an app that you wanted to … more

How a HTC Droid Eris Changed a Members Life

Rarely can a member say that Android development or XDA had a profound effect on … more

XDA Office Space: Frankenstein’s Perfect IM Client?

The portal’s decentralized XDA office lies in a Hangouts chatroom, where … more

Which IM Client on Android is best?

With so many different messengers to choose from, it can be tough to find the best one for you and … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Unable to enable multiple languages in Samsung keyboard

12th April 2014, 04:18 AM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Has anyone been able to enable a second language in the Samsung keyboard? I was able to add a second language by
going to "language and input"
Click the cog wheel next to the Samsung keyboard
Click "+ select input languages"
Select the check box next to an another language
Back

However, I do not see the arrows on the space bar to switch languages. This works fine on my wife's note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

12th April 2014, 01:42 PM |#2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Bumping.

Is this working for everyone else? Can anyone try enabling a second language on the samsung keyboard and switching by swiping the space bar?

Thanks for trying.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
12th April 2014, 08:44 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Same problem here on the international version. For some strange reason word prediction does show two languages even though spacebar says English. Anyway that works more or less although I prefer a single language. Hope Samsung fixes this.
13th April 2014, 07:36 AM |#4  
Flag Monsey
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Works for me

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
13th April 2014, 07:47 AM |#5  
Flag Monsey
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Is this what you mean?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397371591819.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2683319  
13th April 2014, 09:58 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovigoldberger

Is this what you mean?

Yup, I don't have the arrows on the specebar, while I did select both English and Dutch. Unfortunately resetting doesn't help and have yet to find the process to empty cache and clearing data.

Update: found the Keyboard process and emptied cache and cleared data...to no avail. I think it stores language settings somewhere else since Dutch appears back in the samsung keyboard language list immediately after opening the cockwheel button.
Last edited by TheDude1966; 13th April 2014 at 10:16 AM.
13th April 2014, 07:03 PM |#7  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude1966

Yup, I don't have the arrows on the specebar, while I did select both English and Dutch. Unfortunately resetting doesn't help and have yet to find the process to empty cache and clearing data.

Update: found the Keyboard process and emptied cache and cleared data...to no avail. I think it stores language settings somewhere else since Dutch appears back in the samsung keyboard language list immediately after opening the cockwheel button.

As a workaround, and if you want to keep Samsung keyboard, rather than adding a second language to it, try installing a completely new keyboard with Dutch as a default language (any stable keyboard app will do). The switch between keyboards will appear in the phone's notification area, instead of Samsung keyboard's space bar.

I actually prefer it this way: the space bar thingy is finicky, and the notification area's one is super clean and easy.
13th April 2014, 07:41 PM |#8  

More
Thanks, that's one way at least partially getting around the issue. There are plenty good alternative keyboards available, however I like the extra row with numerical keys Samsung offers. For me a real time saver.

Since the problem doesn't occur with all S5's I assume there is rogue app causing this problem in the first place.
14th April 2014, 03:19 AM |#9  
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 879

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude1966

Thanks, that's one way at least partially getting around the issue. There are plenty good alternative keyboards available, however I like the extra row with numerical keys Samsung offers. For me a real time saver.

Since the problem doesn't occur with all S5's I assume there is rogue app causing this problem in the first place.

while I had the keyboard open I pressed and held the key with the settings icon on it (lower left side) and then selected settings again - once I did this - I saw a screen saying new languages were avaiablle - I selected several - went back to the keyboard and saw "English" in the spacebar - when I pressed and held the space bar, I could scroll right or left to choose from any of the languages I had selected.

I think it allowed me to select up to 5 or so - but I may be wrong and there might not be a limit - I didn't go that far into it - I personally only need english - I was just trying to see if I could figure it out -

hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to mocsab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread