-ES File explorer
-BSPlayer
-BubbleIPNP
-Nova Launcher

Working but need a a different input device to manipulate:
-CNN
-IPlayer BBC
-HBO GO
-Puffin Browser (good if works since has flash embedded)
-Pushbullet (need google play services)

I will continue testing other apps until a root is published.

Last edited:

DeVSS

Jul 7, 2007
There are like 5 of these post now. We need a central post because people (myself included) keep testing apps that have already been tested by someone else.

13Madhatter13

Jan 23, 2013
sideload

Sideloaded hsdroid to access hockey streams. Works but needs alternative form of input. Used USB mouse and it works.

buscemi

Apr 14, 2014
No, just shows as another program to run... the good thing is that you can see all the programs in one screen... but dont see any real usage, just testing.
I believe this was suggested in another thread, and it definitely works for me: I simply open Nova Launcher once then with a wireless mini keyboard/trackpad unit I do ALT-TAB to move between apps which includes Nova Launcher. This is a good way to get back to Spotify too, though on the wireless unit I have the play/pause button will let me keep music running or pause it in the background.

I go back to Nova for the apps that I would have had to open via the Fire TV settings/apps page which I find to be a chore compared to ALT-TAB to Nova to a page where I have my key sideloaded apps on-screen and ready to open. It also works out of the box with the Settings.apk if you sideload that so you can just keep the Settings shortcut that is on one of the Nova screens by default. There are noted issues with some settings not working (and most obviously just aren't applicable to this unit which is why they won't work) via Settings.apk but that's covered in another thread too.

josetron

Jan 31, 2010
I believe this was suggested in another thread, and it definitely works for me: I simply open Nova Launcher once then with a wireless mini keyboard/trackpad unit I do ALT-TAB to move between apps which includes Nova Launcher. This is a good way to get back to Spotify too, though on the wireless unit I have the play/pause button will let me keep music running or pause it in the background.

I go back to Nova for the apps that I would have had to open via the Fire TV settings/apps page which I find to be a chore compared to ALT-TAB to Nova to a page where I have my key sideloaded apps on-screen and ready to open. It also works out of the box with the Settings.apk if you sideload that so you can just keep the Settings shortcut that is on one of the Nova screens by default. There are noted issues with some settings not working (and most obviously just aren't applicable to this unit which is why they won't work) via Settings.apk but that's covered in another thread too.

Hopefully we can find a way to do it with the remote control or joystick... having a keyboard in frond of the box is useful but inconvenient...

skanker

Sep 29, 2008
Was iplayer with HD video? Which version did you use? Also what version of the APK did you use for CNN?

So far these apps are working for me:

-XBMC on Ouya
-Firefox
-ES File explorer
-BSPlayer
-BubbleIPNP
-Nova Launcher

Working but need a a different input device to manipulate:
-CNN
-IPlayer BBC
-HBO GO
-Puffin Browser (good if works since has flash embedded)
-Pushbullet (need google play services)

I will continue testing other apps until a root is published.

josetron

Jan 31, 2010
Was iplayer with HD video? Which version did you use? Also what version of the APK did you use for CNN?

Iplayer 3.1.0.748 CNN 1.4.2 Keep in mind both work ok but you can't navigate thru the menus given the lack of support from the input device. I don't think Iplayer was in full HD...keep in mind you need to be in UK to use it (or use any workaround)...

buscemi

Apr 14, 2014
Hopefully we can find a way to do it with the remote control or joystick... having a keyboard in frond of the box is useful but inconvenient...
I use a very small handheld keyboard with touchpad that is convenient for me. It was recommended in another thread, and is this one: (oops I cannot post links yet to so it is Hausbell ® Mini H7 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard with Touchpad for PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox360, PS3 & HTPC/IPTV (Black))

josetron

Jan 31, 2010
I use a very small handheld keyboard with touchpad that is convenient for me. It was recommended in another thread, and is this one: (oops I cannot post links yet to so it is Hausbell ® Mini H7 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard with Touchpad for PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox360, PS3 & HTPC/IPTV (Black))

Thanks for the tip, yes that looks very small and cheap too!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are like 5 of these post now. We need a central post because people (myself included) keep testing apps that have already been tested by someone else.

Good point. There is a "Fire TV Themes and Apps" forum, but no one has posted there yet.