Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 44,793 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Looking at getting a G2, have some questions.

Tip us?
 
chrisutpg
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default [Q] Looking at getting a G2, have some questions.

Ok, so my girlfriend currently has a G2.. She got it about a month or so ago, I know her version was 4.2.2. So I looked into rooting and saw that it was possible. I'm coming from a Gnex, so root and rom is important to me. Anyway.. Now I hear that the new AT&T G2's are shipping with 4.4.2? And loki is not working currently with that so there is no way to downgrade and root? Is that the correct understanding? Also, are they shipping with 4.4.2 or is it still just an OTA update they do while in store at AT&T buying one? Because my buddy works at AT&T and if it is just the OTA, I will just have him leave it at 4.2.2 for me and root and rom it from there, since that seems much easier.

Also I saw something about a 838 firmware that currently doesn't support root?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
 
Really now
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 236
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NW Indiana
If it comes with 4.4 you can go back to 4.2 through download mode using this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2663369 . Then root and install recovery. Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2520419 for some videos on that. Then you can flash a modified stock 4.4 that keeps the 4.2 bootloader and root/recovery intact here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2672931. Or flash any of the many 4.2 4.4 custom roms available. There are other ways to go about this but it works for me. Just takes quite a while to download the files the first time to do it! Also, if you decide to do this and go with the stock 4.4 firmware AT&T has a small patch they're pushing now that you'll want to block. You can just freeze the software update using TiBu.
 
ossito2012
Old
#3  
ossito2012's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 65
Posts: 293
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rogers Park
I have been liking my G2 but I would (and will soon) jump to another phone, like the M8 or N6, the dev support is decent but there are some far outstanding issues with this phone and kitkat, seems like something always not working right i.e. hotspot, auto-rotate, volume, process com,gapps errors, etc,
 
J0hnC0nn3r
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default Not necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossito2012 View Post
I have been liking my G2 but I would (and will soon) jump to another phone, like the M8 or N6, the dev support is decent but there are some far outstanding issues with this phone and kitkat, seems like something always not working right i.e. hotspot, auto-rotate, volume, process com,gapps errors, etc,
I got my LG G2 a week ago and I'll tell you I didn't have any problems with it, however I did downgrade and put an older version of CM 10 for the D80010d on my phone, not knowing that you can upgrade while maintaining the bootloader, as described above. I did notice that my gps didn't work after that, my tethering didn't work and while using wifi hotspot I was unable to load google or facebook, meaning I can't access my e-mail from my computer. I get SSL error's on https:// sites and sometimes I can proceed anyway, while other times I can't load it at all. however these sites load fine on my phone.
 
ainstushar
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 13
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default Stable

My LG G2 is completely stable on latest stock ROM and CM nightly. Honestly, I haven't run into any trouble.

Remember, when you are flashing - try clearing cache.
 
ossito2012
Old
#6  
ossito2012's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 65
Posts: 293
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rogers Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnC0nn3r View Post
I got my LG G2 a week ago and I'll tell you I didn't have any problems with it, however I did downgrade and put an older version of CM 10 for the D80010d on my phone, not knowing that you can upgrade while maintaining the bootloader, as described above. I did notice that my gps didn't work after that, my tethering didn't work and while using wifi hotspot I was unable to load google or facebook, meaning I can't access my e-mail from my computer. I get SSL error's on https:// sites and sometimes I can proceed anyway, while other times I can't load it at all. however these sites load fine on my phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainstushar View Post
My LG G2 is completely stable on latest stock ROM and CM nightly. Honestly, I haven't run into any trouble.

Remember, when you are flashing - try clearing cache.
I agree with you guys for most part phone is 95% good, don't really think it is devs fault but LG is making this phone a pain in the ass to play with, I would think with Samsung allowing the Htc One and G2 to sneak in beat their S4, LG would seize the moment to open up the phone to be truly customized. Looking at HTC One M8 forums it seems HTC is not putting up stupid barriers to rooting and stuff. Imagine a HTC Nexus 6
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Blast Those Flags with Knock the Flags

Lately, we have seen a rather drastic shift in the world of mobile device gaming. The infamous Angry … more

Hide Numbers on Your SMS and Call Logs with Reflection

How many times have you given your device to someone else in order to show them a … more

Implement Split View in Your LG G2 KitKat Rom with Automated Installer

Some of you may have remembered a story on the Portal a few weeks back … more

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more