Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,255 Members 52,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Charging port

Tip us?

stevew84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Default Charging port

I didn't own an S4, so I'm not sure if the charging port was the same on that device, but is it safe to use the standard USB charger with the S5? I forgot my stock charger at home and i have my Nexus 5 USB here at work...the S5 is charging and I'm able to view the files on the phone, but what's the point of the little connecting port next to the USB?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,412

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew84 View Post
I didn't own an S4, so I'm not sure if the charging port was the same on that device, but is it safe to use the standard USB charger with the S5? I forgot my stock charger at home and i have my Nexus 5 USB here at work...the S5 is charging and I'm able to view the files on the phone, but what's the point of the little connecting port next to the USB?
On the Note 3 the port was changed to accommodate USB 3.0 and make it unique I guess, however you can still use a normal USB on the device. It's just Samsung adding their own little piece to it while still allowing older USB cables to work.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

stevew84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
On the Note 3 the port was changed to accommodate USB 3.0 and make it unique I guess, however you can still use a normal USB on the device. It's just Samsung adding their own little piece to it while still allowing older USB cables to work.
Good, didn't want the chance of anything to happen.