Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unrooted S4 Soft Brick Causes?

OP miraged

14th April 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
My almost a year old S4 has soft bricked twice in the past month. Thanks to Surge1223's thread, I have been able to recover both times relatively painlessly (with the exception of a few missed calls and a slight panic attack the first time).

My question is.... what are some common causes of this?

I used to root my phones and had soft bricked my phone while flashing various ROMS (incorrectly), but in both cases with the S4, I was just using my phone regularly before it soft bricked. Preventing it would be good since it seems to happen only when I'm far from my computer....
14th April 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,116

4,002 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miraged

My almost a year old S4 has soft bricked twice in the past month. Thanks to Surge1223's thread, I have been able to recover both times relatively painlessly (with the exception of a few missed calls and a slight panic attack the first time).

My question is.... what are some common causes of this?

I used to root my phones and had soft bricked my phone while flashing various ROMS (incorrectly), but in both cases with the S4, I was just using my phone regularly before it soft bricked. Preventing it would be good since it seems to happen only when I'm far from my computer....

Hard to say really. Theres a lot of things that can contribute to a phone getting bricked.

Need a little more into as to what you've done to the phone, what you were doing before it happened etc..
What mods were done to it and what it actually did for you to think it was bricked as sometimes they actually aren't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
14th April 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Hard to say really. Theres a lot of things that can contribute to a phone getting bricked.

Need a little more into as to what you've done to the phone, what you were doing before it happened etc..
What mods were done to it and what it actually did for you to think it was bricked as sometimes they actually aren't.

That's the part that's baffling me currently. I haven't modded this phone at all. There's a laundry list of apps installed, and I'm using the Aviate launcher, but nothing that's outside the normal realm of usage. This is a work phone for me, so I didn't want to play too much with it since it's not technically my property.

As for the "bricked" symptoms, they were as follows:
Boots only to Verizon Logo
In Recovery tried to Wipe Cache (no change)

The first time this happened, I also did a factory reset (no change), had to flash the No-Wipe Tar in Odin
This time in order not to lose data, I flashed the No-Wipe tar from odin first, and that solved my problem.
14th April 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,116

4,002 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miraged

That's the part that's baffling me currently. I haven't modded this phone at all. There's a laundry list of apps installed, and I'm using the Aviate launcher, but nothing that's outside the normal realm of usage. This is a work phone for me, so I didn't want to play too much with it since it's not technically my property.

As for the "bricked" symptoms, they were as follows:
Boots only to Verizon Logo
In Recovery tried to Wipe Cache (no change)

The first time this happened, I also did a factory reset (no change), had to flash the No-Wipe Tar in Odin
This time in order not to lose data, I flashed the No-Wipe tar from odin first, and that solved my problem.

Alright well sounds like you know what to try at least before you go with Odin. Hmmm

That is strange. I've come to realize that sometimes ( at least to me ) there's no explanation for things that jumps out at you. Now maybe an app you had for some reason caused it to crash ?! In which case only someone who knows how to read a Logcat could tell you.

You never know what some of these apps can do to our phones, especially ones that don't come from the play store. It doesn't take much I don't think to corrupt some much needed files that would send the phone to brick city.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread