5,597,937 Members 38,879 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Firmware][Unofficial][ODIN]S4 DevEdition[boot/recovery/radio/modem][MDK-MJ7-MK2]

Tip us?

Skeetch79
Old
(Last edited by Skeetch79; 14th April 2014 at 07:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithefug View Post
Hello all,

I've got a big problem (much smaller than before). Basically, I tried updating the custom recovery (TWRP) on my Developer Edition SGS4 via a command line. It seemed to work fine, but when I attempted to reboot into recovery, it gave me a warning, and dumped me into Download mode. I was able to get into it somehow for a little while through some weird reboot process. This was annoying after a while, so I attempted to update the recovery again. This time, no joy. Every time I booted into recovery, it would fail and put me into Download mode.

So, I tried using Odin to flash the boot and recovery images found in this thread. Still no joy. Then, after even more attempts at something (I don't remember what), I really borked it. I couldn't even boot the phone normally. It would ONLY go into Download mode.

Really nervous I had totally screwed up my phone, I tried to find the factory images. No dice. Luckily (or maybe not), I can across this thread [1]. It had Odin installable images, but for the normal 16GB SGS4. I flashed them, and everything worked. The phone booted normally (albeit after a factory reset).

Doing this came with 2 major caveats.
  1. The Bootloader is now locked! (ugh) Flashing anything via Odin results in a permissions failure.
  2. The device is partitioned for 16GB instead of 32GB
The second one doesn't bother me so much as I pretty much stream everything, but the former is far worse.

So, before I dig my hole deeper, I wanted to ask some questions or get any suggestions.
  • If/When I root and unlock the bootloader, do you think can I flash the images from this post?
  • Would it be possible to do this via Kies (ick) and get the correct images automatically?
  • Are there any other gotchas that I have to worry about?
Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm not a novice rooter/ROMer, but this is the first time I really screwed up my device. Any help would be appreciated.

[1] - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209
It is a moot point now, but I am running I545OYUEMK2 - the latest build. I have only had success with Philz Touch Recovery. TWRP, after I545OYUAMDK, always dumped me into download mode. This was remedied by either ODIN flashing the stock boot/recovery to the phone or Philz. For some reason TWRP didn't play nice with my phone after upgrading from I545OYUAMDK.

Sorry to say, again, but I wish you had reached out to the community after your failed attempt to flash the images from this thread before moving on to flash images made for the retail phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeetch79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tithefug
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetch79 View Post
You are correct. As I said in reply to his post, only Samsung can help now if he did not back up his ABOOT.mbn
Quote:
You can try ODIN again, but I believe you have forever locked your device, unless, as I mentioned, you have a copy of your aboot.mbn. Sorry. This sucks.
Is there a chance it's part of the TWRP recovery, or is it something I needed to do via Odin?

Also, what are the ramifications of being a stock 16GB SGS4? Will it get the upgrades properly? If that's the case, all is not lost.

Thanks, again.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote:
It is a moot point now, but I am running I545OYUEMK2 - the latest build. I have only had success with Philz Touch Recovery. TWRP, after I545OYUAMDK, always dumped me into download mode. This was remedied by either ODIN flashing the stock boot/recovery to the phone or Philz. For some reason TWRP didn't play nice with my phone after upgrading from I545OYUAMDK.

Sorry to say, again, but I wish you had reached out to the community after your failed attempt to flash the images from this thread before moving on to flash images made for the retail phone.
It's all good. I was in a pinch, and needed it solved then. As in right then! I couldn't even wait an hour for a possible response.

Skeetch79
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithefug View Post
Is there a chance it's part of the TWRP recovery, or is it something I needed to do via Odin?

Also, what are the ramifications of being a stock 16GB SGS4? Will it get the upgrades properly? If that's the case, all is not lost.

Thanks, again.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

It's all good. I was in a pinch, and needed it solved then. As in right then! I couldn't even wait an hour for a possible response.
If you have a backup of your ORIGNAL aboot.mbn I would suggest to flash it via ODIN. It will need to be converted into an ODIN flashable image. The easiest way to do this is through cygwin (www.cygwin.com).

If you have the aboot backup from your phone and want to go that route, install cygwin and then get back to us.

EDIT: TWRP by default, I believe, does not back up your aboot. But it would still be worth checking
Tags
developer, edition, i545oyuamdk, i545oyuemj7, i545oyuemk2