Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 42,494 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC Sensation(ally) Bricked - Real challenge

Tip us?

santasemilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] HTC Sensation(ally) Bricked - Real challenge

Hi everybody.

I just got a bricked HTC Sensation to play with from a guy who messed up with a Rom installation. As far as he told me, he tried to upgrade from GB to ICS directly and bricked it. The problem is that I don't know what he tried to do after that to recover it. He first told me that the phone was detected on Windows (with the typical USB alert sound) but nothing happened after that. I supposed that the phone was able to get QHSUSB_DLOAD mode and accepted the challenge!

The truth is that the phone is not recognized at all. I tried the HTC Unbricking Project under Linux (Mint 16 - 64bits) but the phone was not recognized at the first step (./brickdetect.sh). Then, just to make sure, I checked linux's log messages (tail -f /var/log/syslog) but the phone was not even detected by the USB port when was plugged or unplugged. Finally, as I had nothing to lose, I tried the wire trick as in this video as the guy successfully returned to life a completely bricked phone at least up to QHSUSB_DLOAD state. ...nothing, zero, nada, finito.

Is there anything else I could try to revive this phone before trying to sell it as for spare parts? Another extra challenge is that I don't really know if it is S-On, S-Off nor hboot version. I was just told that it was fully unlocked (I suppose it it S-off)

Well, that's the story. Any orientation will be more than welcome! Please, also If I'm missing any important detail let me know.

Thanks!

rzr86
Old
Thanks Meter 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by santasemilla View Post
Hi everybody.

I just got a bricked HTC Sensation to play with from a guy who messed up with a Rom installation. As far as he told me, he tried to upgrade from GB to ICS directly and bricked it. The problem is that I don't know what he tried to do after that to recover it. He first told me that the phone was detected on Windows (with the typical USB alert sound) but nothing happened after that. I supposed that the phone was able to get QHSUSB_DLOAD mode and accepted the challenge!

The truth is that the phone is not recognized at all. I tried the HTC Unbricking Project under Linux (Mint 16 - 64bits) but the phone was not recognized at the first step (./brickdetect.sh). Then, just to make sure, I checked linux's log messages (tail -f /var/log/syslog) but the phone was not even detected by the USB port when was plugged or unplugged. Finally, as I had nothing to lose, I tried the wire trick as in this video as the guy successfully returned to life a completely bricked phone at least up to QHSUSB_DLOAD state. ...nothing, zero, nada, finito.

Is there anything else I could try to revive this phone before trying to sell it as for spare parts? Another extra challenge is that I don't really know if it is S-On, S-Off nor hboot version. I was just told that it was fully unlocked (I suppose it it S-off)

Well, that's the story. Any orientation will be more than welcome! Please, also If I'm missing any important detail let me know.

Thanks!
did you try to see if you have access to the bootloader at all?
if yes and you don't have access then go for jtag

DEVICE: HTC Sensation Z710e
PREVIOUS ROM:Rooted Stock Rom ICS Sence 3.6 Revelation 1.0.3 JB Sense 4+ ViperS 3.1.4 JB Sense 4+
CURRENT ROM:ViperS 5.2.1 JB Sense 5 | Sense 6 Blinkfeed
FIRMWARE:3.32.401.5
PREVIOUS KERNEL:Overclocked kernel v1.5.2 by SebastianFM
CURRENT KERNEL:Liberty Kernel
BOOTLOADER:unlocked - S-OFF
HBOOT VERSION:1.27.0000
RECOVERY:4EXT recovery touch v.1.0.0.6 RC3

santasemilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr86 View Post
did you try to see if you have access to the bootloader at all?
if yes and you don't have access then go for jtag
Thanks! Noup, I don't have access to anything, its a USB potato. Unfortunately, I'm not in the US so I can't go for jtag

I think I'm toasted

heavy_metal_man
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks! Noup, I don't have access to anything, its a USB potato. Unfortunately, I'm not in the US so I can't go for jtag

I think I'm toasted
Gonna sound simple but does the battery have charge in it? It sounds like there may have been a time gap between them breaking it and you getting it only takes a few hours on the charge to be sure

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Devices
-> HTC wildfire (buzz)- currently testing all sorts.

-> HTC wildfire BEE
s-on HTC-dev unlocked
rom: my cooked rom
-> HTC sensation XE
Died a horrible overheating death
-> Nexus 7 32gb wifi
Bootloader unlocked
Rom: ParanoidAndroid 3.1
-> Htc desire s
xtc clip s-off/simunlocked/supercid
revolutionary hboot 7.00.1002
testing roms....

santasemilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_metal_man View Post
Gonna sound simple but does the battery have charge in it? It sounds like there may have been a time gap between them breaking it and you getting it only takes a few hours on the charge to be sure

Hey! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I left the phone charging a whole night and it was dead cold. I tried again after this charge and nothing happened. Tried with and without battery (as HTC Unbricking Project states) and nothing.

Anyway, I already have a person interested in the phone for spare parts so I guess that was "Mary Jane's last dance"

heavy_metal_man
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hey! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I left the phone charging a whole night and it was dead cold. I tried again after this charge and nothing happened. Tried with and without battery (as HTC Unbricking Project states) and nothing.

Anyway, I already have a person interested in the phone for spare parts so I guess that was "Mary Jane's last dance"
Fair enough pal

Devices
-> HTC wildfire (buzz)- currently testing all sorts.

-> HTC wildfire BEE
s-on HTC-dev unlocked
rom: my cooked rom
-> HTC sensation XE
Died a horrible overheating death
-> Nexus 7 32gb wifi
Bootloader unlocked
Rom: ParanoidAndroid 3.1
-> Htc desire s
xtc clip s-off/simunlocked/supercid
revolutionary hboot 7.00.1002
testing roms....