- Download Visual Voicemail app from Store HERE.
- Download Build Prop Editor HERE.
- Open Build Prop Editor, allow SU access.
- Locate/Search for "ro.HorizontalVVM"
- Change from "True" to "False"
- Reboot phone when prompted by Build Prop Editor.
- Start the VVM App, login.
Note: The App is not the one that comes with the One M8, but it is Verizon developed and has basically the same features as most of the "native" apps on stock ROMs.
Please note, I'm not a Dev by any means, so some questions I may not be able to answer. Also, if your custom ROM is missing the ro.HorizontalVVM line in the build prop, you would have to seek assistance from them. I can confirm that this procedure to work on the HTC One M7 (TeamVenom - Viper ROM) as well as the HTC One M8 (TeamVenom - Viper ROM). Note that the procedure has nothing to do with those ROMs, and I certainly don't mean to step on TeamVenom's excellent work in custom ROMs.
I will give credit to the original person that came up with this procedure once I can "dig" and locate.
UPDATE: For those running ViperOne M8 ROM, there is a (IMO) better workaround (MOD) that fixes VVM and MMS/Group Messaging. That process is listed HERE. Great job to JWhetstone02 !