Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,780 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Messed up my phone

Tip us?

smoham2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Messed up my phone

I rooted my phone some time ago and never really got to tinkering with the new features it brings to the table. Today I decided to take advantage of root and delete the bloatware from my phone, so I download the app NoBloat Free and deleted some system apps. Of course, me being the fool that I am, I deleted something important, and now my home button isn't working, and my phone is acting all funky. I can't access the page where apps are, but I can access settings by swiping down from the top. Also, the home button works to access task manager when I hold it. I tried factory resetting it, but still the same problem. Can someone please help?

And if you are willing to help, can you be as specific as possible, because I'm not too savvy when it comes to this stuff. I read somewhere flashing would help fix it, but I don't know where to start (and I'm severely epileptic, so was a little scared).

All jokes aside, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.

Information: Galaxy S4 (Carrier: Sprint)
Software Version: L720VPUEMJA
Hardware: L720.08
Model: SPH-L720
Android: 4.3

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoham2 View Post
I rooted my phone some time ago and never really got to tinkering with the new features it brings to the table. Today I decided to take advantage of root and delete the bloatware from my phone, so I download the app NoBloat Free and deleted some system apps. Of course, me being the fool that I am, I deleted something important, and now my home button isn't working, and my phone is acting all funky. I can't access the page where apps are, but I can access settings by swiping down from the top. Also, the home button works to access task manager when I hold it. I tried factory resetting it, but still the same problem. Can someone please help?

And if you are willing to help, can you be as specific as possible, because I'm not too savvy when it comes to this stuff. I read somewhere flashing would help fix it, but I don't know where to start (and I'm severely epileptic, so was a little scared).

All jokes aside, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.

Information: Galaxy S4 (Carrier: Sprint)
Software Version: L720VPUEMJA
Hardware: L720.08
Model: SPH-L720
Android: 4.3
If you can get to the play store why not first try and download a launcher - like Nova Launcher, Go Launcher or the like? That may get you a working launcher/Home. Easy peasy.

Or
If you're on MJA rooted you can always flash, via PC Odin, the original .tar from here (the .tar.md5 is zipped just unzip, put the .tar into the PDA slot in Odin and flash. That'll get you to stock BUT it will mostlikely wipe all your data! then use CF-Autoroot to root.

Or if you don't care about knox bootloader you can PC Odin the NAE .tar (from the dev section) and bring your device all the way up to the lates release. Then use CF-Autoroot to root, and then use goomanager to download and install a custom recovery if you want.
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smoham2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the reply. If you dont mind, can you explain what mja is? haha tried searching but it doesnt help.

w7excursion
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Lol never root again
Nandroid - drank

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoham2 View Post
Thank you for the reply. If you dont mind, can you explain what mja is? haha tried searching but it doesnt help.
MJA is the build number.
Following MJA was MK2. Here is where you should start to do some reading.
And if you want to get to the very latest build for this phone you can then go here.
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.