Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,304 Members 41,130 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to protect my asset folder?

Tip us?

basterd2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to protect my asset folder?

Hey I'm building an app with an asset folder full of sound files. I'd like to protect it from decompilation. I understand it's considered impossible but I'd like to use the example of console games like Playstation's. I remeber they pack their files in custom .DAT files that are indexed. The whole files are packed and it can be painful to extract the files without lnowing the way they are packed. I think that is the best way to do.
Is there a tool that can do that for me?

deanwray
Old
Thanks Meter 409

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by basterd2 View Post
Hey I'm building an app with an asset folder full of sound files. I'd like to protect it from decompilation. I understand it's considered impossible but I'd like to use the example of console games like Playstation's. I remeber they pack their files in custom .DAT files that are indexed. The whole files are packed and it can be painful to extract the files without lnowing the way they are packed. I think that is the best way to do.
this is Dalvik and JIT, so you can't really do what you say... PS is about as far from mobile/java as you can get.... maybe don't use java and use NDK for such things

gh0stslayer
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by basterd2 View Post
If you download games like asphalt or need for speed (or any big game for that matter), you will notice that they download additional data (expansion files) to the sdcard which has media and other stuff and they are stored in some different extensions (not mp3 or wav). But I have no idea how it is done. You probably will have to write binaries to encode and decode them.

basterd2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stslayer View Post
If you download games like asphalt or need for speed (or any big game for that matter), you will notice that they download additional data (expansion files) to the sdcard which has media and other stuff and they are stored in some different extensions (not mp3 or wav). But I have no idea how it is done. You probably will have to write binaries to encode and decode them.
THis is very interesting, I'm checking the android page, they have a tool that does exactly that, it creates an opaque binary blob. The thing is I'm wondering how to use it directly witrhout using their expansion pack system.

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/jobb.html

EmptinessFiller
Old
Thanks Meter 21
You can protect your assets while you encrypt them before you put them in the apk. In your app you have to decode them of course.

You don't need a complex encoding system. Maybe you just add 5 to each byte... This may not be 100% sure, but protect from just playing the mp3/wav/ogg file.

basterd2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptinessFiller View Post
You can protect your assets while you encrypt them before you put them in the apk. In your app you have to decode them of course.

You don't need a complex encoding system. Maybe you just add 5 to each byte... This may not be 100% sure, but protect from just playing the mp3/wav/ogg file.
Can you give me an code example that does that? I've battling the APKexpansion files for hours with no success.