Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] How to protect my asset folder?

OP basterd2

13th April 2014, 11:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Hey I'm building an app with an asset folder full of sound files. I'd like to protect it from decompilation. I understand it's considered impossible but I'd like to use the example of console games like Playstation's. I remeber they pack their files in custom .DAT files that are indexed. The whole files are packed and it can be painful to extract the files without lnowing the way they are packed. I think that is the best way to do.
Is there a tool that can do that for me?
13th April 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #2  
deanwray's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 429
 
1,145 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by basterd2

Hey I'm building an app with an asset folder full of sound files. I'd like to protect it from decompilation. I understand it's considered impossible but I'd like to use the example of console games like Playstation's. I remeber they pack their files in custom .DAT files that are indexed. The whole files are packed and it can be painful to extract the files without lnowing the way they are packed. I think that is the best way to do.
Is there a tool that can do that for me?

this is Dalvik and JIT, so you can't really do what you say... PS is about as far from mobile/java as you can get.... maybe don't use java and use NDK for such things
13th April 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #3  
gh0stslayer's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 203
 
255 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by basterd2

Hey I'm building an app with an asset folder full of sound files. I'd like to protect it from decompilation. I understand it's considered impossible but I'd like to use the example of console games like Playstation's. I remeber they pack their files in custom .DAT files that are indexed. The whole files are packed and it can be painful to extract the files without lnowing the way they are packed. I think that is the best way to do.
Is there a tool that can do that for me?

If you download games like asphalt or need for speed (or any big game for that matter), you will notice that they download additional data (expansion files) to the sdcard which has media and other stuff and they are stored in some different extensions (not mp3 or wav). But I have no idea how it is done. You probably will have to write binaries to encode and decode them.
13th April 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stslayer

If you download games like asphalt or need for speed (or any big game for that matter), you will notice that they download additional data (expansion files) to the sdcard which has media and other stuff and they are stored in some different extensions (not mp3 or wav). But I have no idea how it is done. You probably will have to write binaries to encode and decode them.

THis is very interesting, I'm checking the android page, they have a tool that does exactly that, it creates an opaque binary blob. The thing is I'm wondering how to use it directly witrhout using their expansion pack system.

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/jobb.html
15th April 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
You can protect your assets while you encrypt them before you put them in the apk. In your app you have to decode them of course.

You don't need a complex encoding system. Maybe you just add 5 to each byte... This may not be 100% sure, but protect from just playing the mp3/wav/ogg file.
15th April 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptinessFiller

You can protect your assets while you encrypt them before you put them in the apk. In your app you have to decode them of course.

You don't need a complex encoding system. Maybe you just add 5 to each byte... This may not be 100% sure, but protect from just playing the mp3/wav/ogg file.

Can you give me an code example that does that? I've battling the APKexpansion files for hours with no success.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes