Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,938 Members 49,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

b112 - screen brightness problems

Tip us?

Sacerdot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default b112 - screen brightness problems

Hi,
anyone experienced issues with brightness level on B112? i bought the phone used on ebay, and it came with this firmware

if the brightness is set at the middle, it looks like is set at minimum, and if i try to set it below middle, the screen goes totally black ( 0 visibility )...also if i set the screen on auto brightness, the second it is set, it goes blank screen ( the screen is working, just the brightness is so low you cannot see anything )

also, should i consider upgrading from B112 to a newer firmware? performance wise, i am very happy with B112, because comparing with B125 ( on my second ascend p6 ) it runs smoother, no lag in menu at all ( so far ). i also get in antutu 15200-15700 scores with B112.

any thoughts are welcome

vigitall
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacerdot View Post
Hi,
anyone experienced issues with brightness level on B112? i bought the phone used on ebay, and it came with this firmware

if the brightness is set at the middle, it looks like is set at minimum, and if i try to set it below middle, the screen goes totally black ( 0 visibility )...also if i set the screen on auto brightness, the second it is set, it goes blank screen ( the screen is working, just the brightness is so low you cannot see anything )

also, should i consider upgrading from B112 to a newer firmware? performance wise, i am very happy with B112, because comparing with B125 ( on my second ascend p6 ) it runs smoother, no lag in menu at all ( so far ). i also get in antutu 15200-15700 scores with B112.

any thoughts are welcome
Hello,

Are you using the buttons at the pulldown menu or the phone settings menu to set the brightness ?
If it happens only when you are using the pulldown menu you can try the following (if you have a rooted phone) :

1.First of all, make a copy of build.prop and save it on your SD card !
2.Open build.prop (located in system folder in your device) with a root file explorer (like ES File Explorer on Google Play).
3.Look for this line "ro.config.disablesmbacklinght=true".
4.Replace "true" with "false".
5.Reboot the phone.

PS : You can save the changes in build.prop only if you mount your system like RW (see the ES File Explorer settings)

Sacerdot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
it happens all the time, doesn't matter how I get to screen brightness...it acts the same

vigitall
Old
(Last edited by vigitall; 14th April 2014 at 12:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
it happens all the time, doesn't matter how I get to screen brightness...it acts the same
Do you have the Smart Backlight option ON in the phone settings menu > Display ? Try to disable it !
It is possible that you have a preinstalled application like Screen Filter (by the last owner)? If yes, try to uninstall it !

Best regards,

Sacerdot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigitall View Post
Do you have the Smart Backlight option ON in the phone settings menu > Display ? Try to disable it !
It is possible that you have a preinstalled application like Screen Filter (by the last owner)? If yes, try to uninstall it !

Best regards,
smart backlight is OFF
there is no app preinstalled, as i have factory reset the phone...no other funky app either

i was thinking maybe there is a system file that can be tweaked with, to edit a maximum and a minimum parameter for the brightness ...

vigitall
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
smart backlight is OFF
there is no app preinstalled, as i have factory reset the phone...no other funky app either

i was thinking maybe there is a system file that can be tweaked with, to edit a maximum and a minimum parameter for the brightness ...
You have the possibility to check if it is a software problem using Lux Dash application (do a search on Google Play).
"Lux is a third-party app that allows you to easily calibrate your phone’s brightness sensor".You could try it !

Sacerdot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigitall View Post
You have the possibility to check if it is a software problem using Lux Dash application (do a search on Google Play).
"Lux is a third-party app that allows you to easily calibrate your phone’s brightness sensor".You could try it !
i tried Lux, and it works, but it does not have any calibrate function, it is a good alternative to default screen brightness tho...

I was hoping for a fix for the default ( built in ) screen brightness setup menu...anyway, this will do the trick for now

thanks