Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,674 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google News doesn't work on my G-Pad. Anyone else?

Tip us?

CollinFX45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Default Google News doesn't work on my G-Pad. Anyone else?

Hey Guys,

This issue is driving me absolutely crazy. Since I've had my G Pad, I have never successfully gotten news.google.com to work. It loads, then disappears and I am left with a blank page. I refresh, nothing. I did a factory reset, nothing. I just upgraded to the 4.4.2 KitKat leaked build, nothing - same issue. I really don't want to have to install another browser just to get to Google's own news page!

Am I the only one here? This seems so simple, yet it's so frustrating. My LG G2 works fine, my wife's Galaxy S4 works fine, my Nexus 7 works fine, etc. All using Chrome!

-Collin-

getmealive
Old
(Last edited by getmealive; 11th April 2014 at 06:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I also can't get news.google.com to work with the default web browser or Google Chrome. But it work with UC Browser HD for Tablet. My G Pad is updated to kit Kat

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

brian999
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I also have this issue but have you tried holding it in landscape orientation? Try both with auto rotate screen on. If you have the page loaded and go to landscape and then back to portrait it does work but still does not look correct.

Subtleone
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinFX45 View Post
Hey Guys,

This issue is driving me absolutely crazy. Since I've had my G Pad, I have never successfully gotten news.google.com to work. It loads, then disappears and I am left with a blank page. I refresh, nothing. I did a factory reset, nothing. I just upgraded to the 4.4.2 KitKat leaked build, nothing - same issue. I really don't want to have to install another browser just to get to Google's own news page!

Am I the only one here? This seems so simple, yet it's so frustrating. My LG G2 works fine, my wife's Galaxy S4 works fine, my Nexus 7 works fine, etc. All using Chrome!

-Collin-
It bears mentioning that the Google Newstand app is designed specifically to display Google News on mobile devices. Otherwise there are some excellent 3rd party apps to read Google New, the best of which is NewsHog, which I use. For the record, I use Firefox for Android and can easily see Google News, but NewsHog is a far superior experience IMHO.
Phone - LG G2

ROM - OptimusRs Pro 2 Rom For LG G2 V4.3

Tablet - LG G Pad 8.3

ROM - V50018a (leaked KitKat) with improved gamma values

CollinFX45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmealive View Post
I also can't get news.google.com to work with the default web browser or Google Chrome. But it work with UC Browser HD for Tablet. My G Pad is updated to kit Kat

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian999 View Post
I also have this issue but have you tried holding it in landscape orientation? Try both with auto rotate screen on. If you have the page loaded and go to landscape and then back to portrait it does work but still does not look correct.
Thank you Guys. Glad I'm not the only one. Well, sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtleone View Post
It bears mentioning that the Google Newstand app is designed specifically to display Google News on mobile devices. Otherwise there are some excellent 3rd party apps to read Google New, the best of which is NewsHog, which I use. For the record, I use Firefox for Android and can easily see Google News, but NewsHog is a far superior experience IMHO.
I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. Still confuses the heck out of me, however!

-Collin-

burgeke
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51d007 View Post
I had the same issue. Tried 3 different chargers. Finally called at&t and they
sent a replacement. If your USB/charge port looks like this, you'll probably have to have it replaced.

Top pick is my old tilt, bottom one is the new tilt

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...sc/USB_New.jpg
Long standing issue unfortunately... if you're logged in, go into your settings and change crack to the old news view.

https://productforums.google.com/for...s/iPHuCDwsdOwJ

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgeke View Post
Long standing issue unfortunately... if you're logged in, go into your settings and change crack to the old news view.

https://productforums.google.com/for...s/iPHuCDwsdOwJ
*back. Can't edit for some reason...