Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] problems after Kitkat

Tip us?

bornatheist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] problems after Kitkat

I have a stock note3 and since the Kitkat update, lost ability to record calls - nothing works, just static noise from all of them.
Also Gmail app and K9 failed. Aquamail works a treat tho'.
I'm sure there are other bits n bobs (sd access, battery life etc) that are flaky but I haven't fully tested the phone.
A call recorder is essential in my line of work so guess I need to 'fiddle' with my OS, never done it before.
So can anyone tell me what I need to do, i.e; rooting, flashing, decent custom ROM or at least a quick and pain-free mod...i don't do command line stuff and I 'm not a programmer, so anything in plain English would be helpful.
I don't mind keeping Kitkat looking as it is. I've seen my mate's customised rom note2 purchased from ebay and looks like its designed by a 14 yr old gaming nerd.- yuk.
I am very time poor so won't be able to spend hours and hours tinkering.

Thanks in advance

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornatheist View Post
I have a stock note3 and since the Kitkat update, lost ability to record calls - nothing works, just static noise from all of them.
I'm sure there are other bits n bobs (sd access, battery life etc) that are flaky but I haven't fully tested the phone.
A call recorder is essential in my line of work so guess I need to 'fiddle' with my OS, never done it before.
So can anyone tell me what I need to do, i.e; rooting, flashing, decent custom ROM or at least a quick and pain-free mod...i don't do command line stuff and I 'm not a programmer, so anything in plain English would be helpful.
I don't mind keeping Kitkat looking as it is. I've seen my mate's customised rom note2 purchased from ebay and looks like its designed by a 14 yr old gaming nerd.- yuk.

Thanks in advance
call record is fine if you use custom rom, most of them have a modded call recorder and work fine.
To be frank, when I was still on stock 4.4.2 unrooted, I can use gmail with no problem.

rooting => find cf-autoroot at android original development note 3.
recovery => there's twrp, philz cwm, and chenglu cwm. I use chenglu cwm. twrp & philz u can find at android original development note 3. whereby chenglu cwm you can find at android development note 3. I personally use chenglu cwm.
custom ROM => you can pick anything u want, and try. no harm trying. If you got not much time, I suggest you just pick 2 or 3 then download all of them first, copy to your sdcard, and try one by one. so, you will no need to wait again next time to download another one. I have 4 custom ROM that I like inside my sdcard. anytime I want to change I just flash them, no need to wait to download again (because each rom is quite huge around 1.5gb+).

To flash rooting, recovery and custom ROM, you have to bear in mind :
  • do back up your efs (I personally use dr. ketan efs backup after I root my device. this tool need device to be rooted). You can find at android themes & apps note 3
  • when you want to flash custom rom, remember to do nandroid backup from recovery (in case anything bad happened). Touch wood, so far I don't need to use this backup.
  • please do a check on the MD5 hash, to be matched with the one provided on the download thread. If not match means you have a bad download, try to download again till the MD5 is matched. Sometimes, due to file size very huge, and if your internet link down, it might cause a bad download. Don't blame on the OP/devs.
  • The most important before you continue all those process (rooting, recovery and custom rom), READ the thread and FOLLOW the instructions carefully. Most of the time if you follow carefully, nothing harm will happen. And... all the thread are in simple english, no coding words on the OP thread.

cheers.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khizar
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornatheist View Post

Thanks in advance
to get call recording to work, use NC2 FW/rom and use NB2 modem or higher..

try clearing gmail`s data in settings, i have had zero issues with gmail..

for root/recorvery check the guide that is linked in my sig, it has step by step instructions..

as for rom i personally recommend xnote and lean kenrel to everyone..
The Following User Says Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nick61
Old
Thanks Meter 3
For the exact same main reason (call recording) I've requested to the seller to solve the problem (my seller was also the carrier provider: orange).

They've changed my phone with a new one with latest 4.3, after a long conversation between orange and samsung tech support, only because my complaints about 4.4.2 implementation on note 3.

Maybe this thread is of use for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2709623

Good luck,