Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,740 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem with looping Nexus 7

Tip us?
 
Presario29
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Apr 2014
Unhappy [Q] Problem with looping Nexus 7

Posting on behalf of my daughter and if the topic has been covered I apologize and would welcome a link ... anyway here goes, no idea how the tablet got to it's current state but when switched on it will simply go through normal boot up up to the colored blocks then it goes blank and starts again. From what my daughter says she was having some issues with it in the morning and gave up trying to sort it and did a factory reset ... this appears to have gone belly up or at least done more than she expected ending in the current state. She did try and do the same again "many times"
To me it does not look to good but I have limited knowledge of Android so may be reading to much into what I see, any suggestions / assistance to get the system back to normal would be appreciated. The tablet is stock and was running latest version of Kit Kat

Thanks in advance
 
Captain Sweatpants
Old
#2  
Captain Sweatpants's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 328
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh
Was the tablet rooted? Have you ever used adb (android debugging bridge)? Try and get into recovery mode or fastboot mode from off you press power and vol up or down you will see either android on his back (fastboot) or recovery mode

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning
 
Presario29
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sweatpants View Post
Was the tablet rooted? Have you ever used adb (android debugging bridge)? Try and get into recovery mode or fastboot mode from off you press power and vol up or down you will see either android on his back (fastboot) or recovery mode

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
No not rooted was stock with Kitkat 4.4.2 running ...never used ADB but having read a few posts on here have been getting to know it, got into fastboot using SDK Manager and am trying to work through what I should do next to get the thing back up, recovery mode using the method you mention did nothing looked to me as my daughter may have wiped all data by accident ..well usable data that is as the tablet must have something on it as it was looping non stop .....
 
Captain Sweatpants
Old
#4  
Captain Sweatpants's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 328
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh
OK well in fastboot type the command "fastboot OEM unlock" that will bring up a screen on the tablet warning you about the terrible woes of unlocking your bootloader go ahead and if that succeeds then you will see an unlocked padlock on the Google screen you bootloader is now unlocked if this process fails or hangs at the unlocking stage then you have a corrupted nand partition (bad) the internal memory of the tablet has become corrupted this is the source of your problems and a new motherboard is in order. If it succeeded then we are on to the next step download wugfresh nexus root toolkit use the unroot back to stock option be sure to tick soft bricked and this will automatically flash a new factory image onto the tablet

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning
 
Presario29
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sweatpants View Post
OK well in fastboot type the command "fastboot OEM unlock" that will bring up a screen on the tablet warning you about the terrible woes of unlocking your bootloader go ahead and if that succeeds then you will see an unlocked padlock on the Google screen you bootloader is now unlocked if this process fails or hangs at the unlocking stage then you have a corrupted nand partition (bad) the internal memory of the tablet has become corrupted this is the source of your problems and a new motherboard is in order. If it succeeded then we are on to the next step download wugfresh nexus root toolkit use the unroot back to stock option be sure to tick soft bricked and this will automatically flash a new factory image onto the tablet

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Thanks Captain Sweatpants
Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse though managed to do the OEM unlock, all seemd ok never got to the stage using the download you mention, had to pack in what I was doing as I was going to work shut the tablet down which seemed ok now it won't stir one bit tried all the buton combinations nothing ..... I am guessing it's bricked

Any ideas ?????
 
Captain Sweatpants
Old
#6  
Captain Sweatpants's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 328
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh
It's possible you have a flat battery plug in the charger and hold power button for two mins use a watch it really does take that long if that doesn't work take the back off and disconnect the battery use a multi meter to check the voltage. Its a two cell 3.7v battery there are two pairs of red and black wires they should both give about 3.6/7v anything below 3.5 means its dead

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning
 
Presario29
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sweatpants View Post
It's possible you have a flat battery plug in the charger and hold power button for two mins use a watch it really does take that long if that doesn't work take the back off and disconnect the battery use a multi meter to check the voltage. Its a two cell 3.7v battery there are two pairs of red and black wires they should both give about 3.6/7v anything below 3.5 means its dead

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
Captain Sweatpants Thanks Again since last post I have got a bit more info as to how the tablet has got to the state it is, as I said I had stopped the loop and was able to get to fastboot and unlock the tablet but left it after that as due for work, it appears my son did a bit of fiddling about and that ended up with my current state ... from what a friend has said on taking a look at it it is now basically a very expensive coaster, the bootloader has gone and the tablet can only be seen on a pc using an APX driver (think that's what he called it) basically will see what the cost of a new motherboard would be and weigh that against a new one ..... Anyway thanks for your help it was worth a try Cheers
 
Captain Sweatpants
Old
(Last edited by Captain Sweatpants; 15th April 2014 at 07:34 PM.)
#8  
Captain Sweatpants's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 328
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presario29 View Post
Captain Sweatpants Thanks Again since last post I have got a bit more info as to how the tablet has got to the state it is, as I said I had stopped the loop and was able to get to fastboot and unlock the tablet but left it after that as due for work, it appears my son did a bit of fiddling about and that ended up with my current state ... from what a friend has said on taking a look at it it is now basically a very expensive coaster, the bootloader has gone and the tablet can only be seen on a pc using an APX driver (think that's what he called it) basically will see what the cost of a new motherboard would be and weigh that against a new one ..... Anyway thanks for your help it was worth a try Cheers
OK once you have a shredded bootloader that's the end of the line. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to execute commands an reflash the tablet unfortunately it also opens up the possibility of hard bricking it if you do something wrong. Its recoverable but only if you have previously backed up the bootloader. No one has ever recovered a nexus bootloader without a backup and very few have ever done it with one.
On the bright side a new motherboard for a n7 is not expensive about 30 in the UK not sure about other countries. And is very easy to fit

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Immersive Mode on Unrooted Devices with GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode

Everyone likes screen real estate–no question about that. The … more

Android Wear App Review: EchoWear Song Search – XDA Developer TV

Yesterday on XDA Developer TV, Producer AdamOutler tore down a Samsung … more

Blast Those Flags with Knock the Flags

Lately, we have seen a rather drastic shift in the world of mobile device gaming. The infamous Angry … more