Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 48,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cisco RV200W

Tip us?

coldsteal
Old
(Last edited by coldsteal; 1st April 2014 at 03:11 PM.) Reason: typo
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Cisco RV200W

I figured I would add some info instead of just learning. I really like XDA-dev... and go to this site often to solve issues.

I purchased a Cisco rv220w router on sale for the purpose of building a cheap network and VPN for my android (Tablets and HTC one Phones).

I am pretty good at networking so I gave it a try. In less than a day I now have a fully working network to include a VPN server that works.

VPN for all android devices uses PPTP. I know the limits and fully realize that PPTP has issues. However it is working. The VPN is designed for connectivity, not privacy. I want to avoid censorship and wifi sniffing of passwords, etc... My solution after 3 days seems to be working.

Getting other VPN solutions to work with Android seems to be a bridge to far. If there are other VPN protocols that work please let me know and I will try them. I have devices running 4.2, 4.2 and 4.4. I have a few devices running Windows. I will use cisco any connect for windows computers. Not the best but it works.

Any improvements or suggestions are welcome.

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I use OpenVPN. Works very well for Android and Macs. There's a client for Android too.

You can download the free OpenVPN image from their website, but it's limited to only 2 users. For my purpose, it works great.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active

coldsteal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I will try it. Yesterday I had to reboot the router after 3 days of no problem. It kept dropping WiFi to a tablet. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

coldsteal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
All is working. Except it seems Hilton hotel internet blocks pptp. Help please !!!

coldsteal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Working in other Hilton hotel

coldsteal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default OpenVpn

I have PPTP working however how to I get a better solution to work. I will try open VPN again tonight. So far no luck.