FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Which OEM's offer official bootloader unlocks?

15th April 2014, 03:26 AM |#1  
trevorftard's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Other than HTC, which OEMs offer official bootloader unlocks,including their devices that are subsidized by AT&T? I'm hoping LG might, as the G2 looks really nice, and the price recently dropped because of the Flex.
 
 
15th April 2014, 04:40 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 630
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftard

Other than HTC, which OEMs offer official bootloader unlocks,including their devices that are subsidized by AT&T? I'm hoping LG might, as the G2 looks really nice, and the price recently dropped because of the Flex.

Yea, ATT isn't real big on letting manufacturers have their phones get unlocked like that. If it is really that big of a concern, you would be best served to buy an international version of the phone you like or get a developer edition model. Alternatively, most Tmo versions of phones that ATT has locked down are not for their network and once unlocked, have all the bands to work on ATT properly with 2g/3g/4g/LTE where as many ATT phones have part of Tmo bands locked down.
15th April 2014, 04:55 AM |#3  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,810
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftard

Other than HTC, which OEMs offer official bootloader unlocks,including their devices that are subsidized by AT&T? I'm hoping LG might, as the G2 looks really nice, and the price recently dropped because of the Flex.

Right now the G2 doesn't have a unlocked bootloader instead it uses Loki flash, LG has a up and down record of unlocked bootloaders. Sony devices the days usually always have the ability to unlock the bootloader. If you really want a great device for ATT with an easy official unlockable bootloader the Nexus 5 is an excellent choice. As previously mentioned ATT has ratcheted up it's stance on locking bootloader, so keep that in mind as well when buying devices, I second looking at developer edition or unlocked edition devices if you can swing it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th April 2014, 05:35 AM |#4  
trevorftard's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208

Right now the G2 doesn't have a unlocked bootloader instead it uses Loki flash, LG has a up and down record of unlocked bootloaders. Sony devices the days usually always have the ability to unlock the bootloader. If you really want a great device for ATT with an easy official unlockable bootloader the Nexus 5 is an excellent choice. As previously mentioned ATT has ratcheted up it's stance on locking bootloader, so keep that in mind as well when buying devices, I second looking at developer edition or unlocked edition devices if you can swing it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know they have a terrible history with this. The thing is, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have 15 months left on my contract and I can upgrade already on Next and pay close to the same as what I'm paying now. I don't care much for HTC, but I can't stand OEM skins, and I already have a Moto X Dev Edition and a Nexus 4, and if HTC is the only one I can flash, that's the brand I'll be going with. Tell me more about Loki Flash...
15th April 2014, 05:48 PM |#5  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,810
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftard

I know they have a terrible history with this. The thing is, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have 15 months left on my contract and I can upgrade already on Next and pay close to the same as what I'm paying now. I don't care much for HTC, but I can't stand OEM skins, and I already have a Moto X Dev Edition and a Nexus 4, and if HTC is the only one I can flash, that's the brand I'll be going with. Tell me more about Loki Flash...

Essentially Loki Flash is was of injecting boot, recovery.img's without tripping the secure boot of devices. More info on how it works and what it is can be found in the README for the Loki source code found here.
15th April 2014, 06:56 PM |#6  
trevorftard's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208

Essentially Loki Flash is was of injecting boot, recovery.img's without tripping the secure boot of devices. More info on how it works and what it is can be found in the README for the Loki source code found here.

That sounds awesome. Has it been patched yet on the G2?
15th April 2014, 08:46 PM |#7  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,810
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftard

That sounds awesome. Has it been patched yet on the G2?

Yes it has check out this thread for an example http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=2449670<br /> :thumbup:.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
at&t, att, bootloader, official, unlock
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes