Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,480 Members 44,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My Verizon App Requesting Root Access

Tip us?

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon31337 View Post
They will never know unless you grant permissions to their app, no?
Let a dev chime in but why do it if you will just catch a few that grant passage? I bet there is a difference to be noted between no root & root denied.
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

Dragon31337
Old
Thanks Meter 37
De-compilation says differently:

Code:
Select Code
  private static String b()
  {
    String str = "YES";
    try
    {
      BufferedReader localBufferedReader = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(Runtime.getRuntime().exec("su -c ls").getErrorStream()));
      char[] arrayOfChar = new char[17];
      if ((localBufferedReader.read(arrayOfChar) == arrayOfChar.length) && (new String(arrayOfChar, 0, arrayOfChar.length).trim().equalsIgnoreCase("permission denied"))) {
        str = "NO";
      }
      return str;
    }
    catch (Exception localException)
    {
      for (;;)
      {
        str = "NO";
      }
    }
  }
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragon31337 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

2THEXTRM
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I have updated to last Verizon app and did not receive a prompt to allow root privileges. I am unlocked and rooted on stock Rom. I double checked my Super SU and verified the usual apps are listed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Dragon31337
Old
Thanks Meter 37
In my and spouse's cases the check happened on outgoing call.

jfriend33
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I also got the root request a few days ago. But I just denied it. Haven't seen it again. I added it today to root cloak.

akellar
Old
Thanks Meter 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend33 View Post
I also got the root request a few days ago. But I just denied it. Haven't seen it again. I added it today to root cloak.
Once you deny an app you'll never see it ask again. That's not specific to this.
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.

jfriend33
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by akellar View Post
Once you deny an app you'll never see it ask again. That's not specific to this.
Right. What's not specific? You mean denying prevents future requests on any all, right?

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

marinegundoctor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Lightbulb Here's what I did:

I had this issue pop up after installing 'My Verizon' after I flashed Hyperdrive15 to my GS4. I didn't respond to the request and just let it time out.
I then force-closed My Verizon.
Using Xposed Framework:
I added it to the RootCloak module.
I used the module 'App Settings' (ver 1.8) and removed the following permissions from 'My Verizon Mobile':
  • CAMERA
  • GET_TASKS
  • KILL_BACKGROUND_PROCESSES
  • READ_EXTENAL_STORAGE
  • WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
I believe these are most likely so the app can act as a security app in case the phone is lost or stolen. VZW offers a 'premium' insurance for US$10 a month that provides the features. They try and push it down your throat every time you ask about insurance or add a phone. I keep telling them there are plenty of free apps that do the same things and more for free.
Anyhow, that's what these perms are most likely for, however, like most things in life they can be used for other things by big red I'm sure. Especially the GET_TASKS perm.

jrobin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
They are attempting to get root for the purpose of logging your rooted status only they know what they will use the information for. I forget who but someone on XDA has already examined the apk I determine what it was doing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk