Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting and Superuser

Tip us?
 
SimoPiersi
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default [Q] Rooting and Superuser

Hi! I've just rooted my device (Nexus 5) with Chainfire auto setup and I've downloaded Superuser by Clockworkmod. When I opened it up, it showed a message saying that I needed to update the SU binary, I went back to the Play Store, I read the description and I found a link, that allows me to install it from a recovery files. Once I downloaded it I opened the app again using the recovery files, Android crashed and rebooted itself, but during the boot it showed a dead android image (the one with the red triangle). I've turned off my device (Nexus 5) and then I've reboot it, now all works fine. I'm terribly scared, what the hell happened? It's my fault or Superuser just crashed?
 
es0tericcha0s
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 490
Posts: 2,522
Join Date: May 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoPiersi View Post
Hi! I've just rooted my device (Nexus 5) with Chainfire auto setup and I've downloaded Superuser by Clockworkmod. When I opened it up, it showed a message saying that I needed to update the SU binary, I went back to the Play Store, I read the description and I found a link, that allows me to install it from a recovery files. Once I downloaded it I opened the app again using the recovery files, Android crashed and rebooted itself, but during the boot it showed a dead android image (the one with the red triangle). I've turned off my device (Nexus 5) and then I've reboot it, now all works fine. I'm terribly scared, what the hell happened? It's my fault or Superuser just crashed?
You didn't do any damage to your device. What it seems like is that you only have root access and not a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or TWRP so when you went back to the app it went to boot you to recovery to install them and it rebooted you to the stock recovery which does not allow installation of files that aren't signed with a specific factory key. You should be able to update the binary with the normal install mode on the Nexus without issues. If you want a custom recovery, there are various ways to do it, but the easiest would be with the GooManager app (free in the Play Store) where you grant it SU access, hit Menu > Install OpenRecoveryScript and let it do it's thing. Then when you boot to recovery, you will have a version of TWRP. This is a great custom recovery. Touch based, Fast. Allows you to back up all the important parts of the phone so you have a system backup - called a nandroid (which you should do and save to a safe spot) as well as install custom versions of android, themes, kernels, and all types of other mods as well as a way to do a complete factory and /sdcard wipe if ever needed.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!


HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SimoPiersi
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Thanks GOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
You didn't do any damage to your device. What it seems like is that you only have root access and not a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or TWRP so when you went back to the app it went to boot you to recovery to install them and it rebooted you to the stock recovery which does not allow installation of files that aren't signed with a specific factory key. You should be able to update the binary with the normal install mode on the Nexus without issues. If you want a custom recovery, there are various ways to do it, but the easiest would be with the GooManager app (free in the Play Store) where you grant it SU access, hit Menu > Install OpenRecoveryScript and let it do it's thing. Then when you boot to recovery, you will have a version of TWRP. This is a great custom recovery. Touch based, Fast. Allows you to back up all the important parts of the phone so you have a system backup - called a nandroid (which you should do and save to a safe spot) as well as install custom versions of android, themes, kernels, and all types of other mods as well as a way to do a complete factory and /sdcard wipe if ever needed.
That's why I love XDA Developers, because there are people that knows what they are saying! Thank you so much. Now I'm wondering if I should install a recovery mod as you suggested. Do you think I have to install Tasker as well? My first idea was to install Xposed modules, after rooting my device, but when they say "be careful it could **** UP your device" I wonder "Why the hell you should say that when I want to install them?", so I still think about that. Thank you again!
 
es0tericcha0s
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 490
Posts: 2,522
Join Date: May 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoPiersi View Post
That's why I love XDA Developers, because there are people that knows what they are saying! Thank you so much. Now I'm wondering if I should install a recovery mod as you suggested. Do you think I have to install Tasker as well? My first idea was to install Xposed modules, after rooting my device, but when they say "be careful it could **** UP your device" I wonder "Why the hell you should say that when I want to install them?", so I still think about that. Thank you again!
Tasker is not necessary for any of this. Tasker is for automating your phone to do certain tasks under specific conditions you set up. Such as setting your phone to turn on wifi based on location. You certainly don't NEED a custom recovery, but if you like to play with your phone, then it is a great way to be able to make a complete backup to restore in case of emergency. When you install and activate the Xposed framework, it will also create a zip file on your storage that will disable it while flashed through a custom recovery. If things go super wrong, you can also restore the phone via PC using fastboot tools and factory img files from Google. What I like to do is:

Download factory img files and set up adb and fastboot
Root
Recovery
Nandroid
Backup Nandroid and complete storage to PC
Flash whatever roms or mods
If it completely bricks and you lose access to storage then restore system from PC then redo recovery, copy files and nandroid back to storage and restore backup

bam - back in business.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!


HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes