Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,312 Members 52,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A bright, small spot appears on the screen with slight pressure on back or flexed

Tip us?

cawake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] A bright, small spot appears on the screen with slight pressure on back or flexed

Specifically, the spot is just left of mid-line and about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom in portrait mode. If you have the wallpaper of the quill with the scribble (not the ink well), it is just to left of the quill tip. If I press on the corresponding spot on the back or flex the tablet from the sides a bit, a bright spot appears on lighter backgrounds (it doesn't show on dark backgrounds). A white background is back.

Ok, so everyone is going to say don't push or flex the tablet and I agree However, I bought the MoKo rotating case and when I snap it in firmly, this spot appears. I remove the tablet or loosen up the left side of the case, the spot disappears. The case appears to flex the tablet a bit, causing the display issue. I'm going to give another case a try, but MoKo is really the only rotating case, which I really liked.

Since the back of the tablet is "spongy" in this spot and allows it, I was trying to determine if this is a design issue with all of Note 8's or a manufacturing defect with mine. I went to a big box store to test, but they no longer have the Note 8's on display. However, all of the other Samsung tablet models have this issue in one spot or another. It seems Samsung has sacrificed sturdiness for a lower profile. So, I'm wondering if folks can help me determine if I should return this for another unit or deal with it.

DizzyDen
Old
Thanks Meter 563
I'd try flexing the cover's tabs some to see if I could alleviate the flexing... this is common on all tablets and phones since they are made to be as light as possible these days.

You might be able to heat the case holder with a hair dryer to make flexing/bending it easier.
Always remember...
YCGIYWG
(You Can't Get... If You Won't Give)
The Dizzy One

My humble contributions:
IMEI Generator
Customizing ROMs thread
To have devices added to IMEI Generator
IMEIme bug report thread

dtvboy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawake View Post
Specifically, the spot is just left of mid-line and about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom in portrait mode. If you have the wallpaper of the quill with the scribble (not the ink well), it is just to left of the quill tip. If I press on the corresponding spot on the back or flex the tablet from the sides a bit, a bright spot appears on lighter backgrounds (it doesn't show on dark backgrounds). A white background is back.

Ok, so everyone is going to say don't push or flex the tablet and I agree However, I bought the MoKo rotating case and when I snap it in firmly, this spot appears. I remove the tablet or loosen up the left side of the case, the spot disappears. The case appears to flex the tablet a bit, causing the display issue. I'm going to give another case a try, but MoKo is really the only rotating case, which I really liked.

Since the back of the tablet is "spongy" in this spot and allows it, I was trying to determine if this is a design issue with all of Note 8's or a manufacturing defect with mine. I went to a big box store to test, but they no longer have the Note 8's on display. However, all of the other Samsung tablet models have this issue in one spot or another. It seems Samsung has sacrificed sturdiness for a lower profile. So, I'm wondering if folks can help me determine if I should return this for another unit or deal with it.
I've seen this in mine. Definitely pressure flexing back plate pressure on the battery frame. The screws holding the battery will press from the back of the LCD and you'll see a bright dot. Relieve the flex/stress or the dot it permanently bruise.

cawake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyDen View Post
I'd try flexing the cover's tabs some to see if I could alleviate the flexing... this is common on all tablets and phones since they are made to be as light as possible these days.

You might be able to heat the case holder with a hair dryer to make flexing/bending it easier.
DizzyDen,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try flexing it back into shape, but to no avail.

Chris

cawake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvboy View Post
I've seen this in mine. Definitely pressure flexing back plate pressure on the battery frame. The screws holding the battery will press from the back of the LCD and you'll see a bright dot. Relieve the flex/stress or the dot it permanently bruise.
dtvboy,

Thanks for confirming the issue. You are right, the spot does resemble the tip of a screw. I just received the fintie slim case and I no longer have the issue. I miss the rotating stand, but it's better than the distracting dot or damaging my tablet.

Chris

DizzyDen
Old
Thanks Meter 563
You could also try sanding the flat part of the rotating holder... anything to relieve the pressure it puts on the back of the Note... bending the corners forward on the holder might help as well.
Always remember...
YCGIYWG
(You Can't Get... If You Won't Give)
The Dizzy One

My humble contributions:
IMEI Generator
Customizing ROMs thread
To have devices added to IMEI Generator
IMEIme bug report thread
Tags
display issue