5,594,341 Members 38,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bricked by OTA Update! [Not rooted]

Tip us?

jaawerth
Old
(Last edited by jaawerth; 11th December 2013 at 10:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bricked by OTA Update! [Not rooted]

Hiya folks, bit of a problem. I never bothered to root or unlock my DNA (it's been getting the job done nicely with a few non-root customizations, and I have other gadgets to tinker away with). This morning I accepted the OTA update from Verizon, and now it's bricked - stuck on the HTC splash screen.

I did a soft reset, cleared the cache partition, and performed a hard reset - no dice. Called Verizon and HTC, no help - I can pretty much do a repair/replacement if I'm still under warranty. I'd really rather avoid going down that path, as I think I'm barely over the warranty (though I can hopefully get them to honor it if I'm within 30 days).

Is there any way I can still flash this back to an older stock, having never unlocked it? I can only get the thing into fastboot mode, and all of the instructions I've found are for when the phone's been bricked after rooting. adb can't seem to talk to it at all, probably because it's in fastboot. Is it safe to attempt using an RUU or some sort of image to flash it using the fastboot utility?

Since it's already bricked, I went ahead and made a go at it using an older RUU, but it quick before even trying, claiming I needed the correct version of the utility. It's possible I did it wrong, though.

Any help would be much obliged! This is what I get for not rooting/learning how to do this stuff earlier...

EDIT: Before this newest update, my phone had the most up-to-date stock ROM. It was fully charged when it performed the OTA.

grimmkt
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaawerth View Post
Hiya folks, bit of a problem. I never bothered to root or unlock my DNA (it's been getting the job done nicely with a few non-root customizations, and I have other gadgets to tinker away with). This morning I accepted the OTA update from Verizon, and now it's bricked - stuck on the HTC splash screen.

I did a soft reset, cleared the cache partition, and performed a hard reset - no dice. Called Verizon and HTC, no help - I can pretty much do a repair/replacement if I'm still under warranty. I'd really rather avoid going down that path, as I think I'm barely over the warranty (though I can hopefully get them to honor it if I'm within 30 days).

Is there any way I can still flash this back to an older stock, having never unlocked it? I can only get the thing into fastboot mode, and all of the instructions I've found are for when the phone's been bricked after rooting. adb can't seem to talk to it at all, probably because it's in fastboot. Is it safe to attempt using an RUU or some sort of image to flash it using the fastboot utility?

Since it's already bricked, I went ahead and made a go at it using an older RUU, but it quick before even trying, claiming I needed the correct version of the utility. It's possible I did it wrong, though.

Any help would be much obliged! This is what I get for not rooting/learning how to do this stuff earlier...

EDIT: Before this newest update, my phone had the most up-to-date stock ROM. It was fully charged when it performed the OTA.
Exact same thing happened to me last evening...except I'm rooted with S-off.

ryclegman
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmkt View Post
Exact same thing happened to me last evening...except I'm rooted with S-off.
Try flashing the latest RUU ZIP in fastboot. someone had a similar issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...38&postcount=6

The actual thread is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2558885
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryclegman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaawerth
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclegman View Post

The actual thread is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2558885
Aha! Much obliged. I searched for the right RUU and couldn't find it, and completely missed that thread - I was using the wrong search terms. Downloading now - I'll update tonight once I know if it works. Then I'm modifying the crap out of this thing!

ryclegman
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Aha! Much obliged. I searched for the right RUU and couldn't find it, and completely missed that thread - I was using the wrong search terms. Downloading now - I'll update tonight once I know if it works. Then I'm modifying the crap out of this thing!
Sounds good! let us know!

grimmkt
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclegman View Post

I can't get the phone to connect in fastboot. I keep getting a "driver failed to load" type error when I plug in the USB...the device is never visible.

jaawerth
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Worked like a charm! The download took awhile, but once I had it downloaded it was easy.

For others searching for this issue:
Once you have the RUU, just install Android Development tools (specifically fastboot) and enter
>fastboot oem rebootRUU
>fastboot flash install IMAGEFILE.ZIP

Terminal/command prompt on the computer side told me it was finished but the phone was stuck at the very end of the progress bar. I waited a while few minutes, and when it didn't move I risked doing a
>fastboot reboot
and we were good to go.

jaawerth
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Arise, thread!

So! My phone never bricked again, but a few weeks after I performed the RUU with the image linked earlier in this thread, I started to see the problem that early DNA's started to have with it randomly giving a "no SIM card" error. I'd had this issue when I first got the DNA, but at the time I just went through the normal phone replacement process to resolve it. Imagine my surprise when it came back after flashing! It's now reached the point where I will lose calls because of it, and will often have to reboot/toggle airplane mode to get data back, so I finally got annoyed enough to post.

Presumably this problem is because the image I flashed from is the original DNA image with the drivers that cause that SIM issue. So my question is: if I s-off, root, and install a custom ROM, will that take care of it? Or is this particular issue so deep on the driver level that I need to find a more recent RUU?

I also have not yet tried a new SIM - because of the timing of the problem, I'm slow to believe that it's related to the SIM card, but I suppose it isn't impossible.

Jaggar345
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Arise, thread!

So! My phone never bricked again, but a few weeks after I performed the RUU with the image linked earlier in this thread, I started to see the problem that early DNA's started to have with it randomly giving a "no SIM card" error. I'd had this issue when I first got the DNA, but at the time I just went through the normal phone replacement process to resolve it. Imagine my surprise when it came back after flashing! It's now reached the point where I will lose calls because of it, and will often have to reboot/toggle airplane mode to get data back, so I finally got annoyed enough to post.

Presumably this problem is because the image I flashed from is the original DNA image with the drivers that cause that SIM issue. So my question is: if I s-off, root, and install a custom ROM, will that take care of it? Or is this particular issue so deep on the driver level that I need to find a more recent RUU?

I also have not yet tried a new SIM - because of the timing of the problem, I'm slow to believe that it's related to the SIM card, but I suppose it isn't impossible.
The only way I have seen this permanently resolved is to get a new Sim tray from HTC. I got one and my brother did too and I never get Sim card errors like I used to. Just go to their website contact their support and ask for one and they send it out for free no questions asked.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app