Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,543 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Couple of dumb questions. NOT URGENT.

Tip us?

Electriccars
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] Couple of dumb questions. NOT URGENT.

Hey, so I have a few dumb questions.

1: I deleted my SD card shortcut that was in my freshly formatted internal storage when I got the phone. I want it back and no file manager can help me. I only want it because some apps (like Dolphin browser, for the downloads directory) won't let me select the external SD. Any way to get it back other then a format of the internal SD? Would that work even?

2: Why the heck is the EFS so dang fragile? And why does this phone have it able to get messed up!? None of my other phones have ever had this, and I've worked with the Samsung Intercept (OMG THAT HORROR), the LG Optimus V, the HTC Sensation 4G, my brother hasn't seen this on his Nexus 4 even. I see so many people posting "HALP, EFS MESSED UP WITH NO BACKUP!!!" and I'm just scared to death of mine messing up, so I have backups on my computer, my phone, my sisters phone!!! Lol.

3: I don't need to do it now, but in the future I might. How do we swap how the the external and internal memory is seen? According to many sites we need to "Open the file manager that you have installed on your Android device and browse to the location “/system/etc” and you will find a file named “vold.fstab”" only that file doesn't exist in my /system/etc folder in Beanstalk. So I'm curious if maybe the OG has a different method of doing this?

Thanks for those willing to take the time to answer my 3 dumb questions.

jxcorex28
Old
Thanks Meter 26
On 3...maybe I misread this but are you asking about moving anything you download from the web to sdcard instead of int. storage ? If that's the case, download xposed framework and get diwnload2sd. It allows you to change the downloads directory..hope that helps

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Electriccars
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxcorex28 View Post
On 3...maybe I misread this but are you asking about moving anything you download from the web to sdcard instead of int. storage ? If that's the case, download xposed framework and get diwnload2sd. It allows you to change the downloads directory..hope that helps

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for replying.

No, there is supposed to be a way to make the phone mount the SD as internal storage and vice versa. In the future I may want to do that if I get a fast, large, SD card. But when I look into the proper folder the file I'm supposed to edit isn't there. :-\

There are certainly other ways to use the SD instead of internal, like the one you mentioned or another exposed module that sets the camera to use the SD instead of internal. And then there's the app I bought "FolderMount" which is great as well. It's certainly not devastating to not be able to swap how the phone mounts the memory, but it would be cleaner if I could.

Again, thanks for replying!

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

OMGMatrix
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electriccars View Post
Thanks for replying.

No, there is supposed to be a way to make the phone mount the SD as internal storage and vice versa. In the future I may want to do that if I get a fast, large, SD card. But when I look into the proper folder the file I'm supposed to edit isn't there. :-\

There are certainly other ways to use the SD instead of internal, like the one you mentioned or another exposed module that sets the camera to use the SD instead of internal. And then there's the app I bought "FolderMount" which is great as well. It's certainly not devastating to not be able to swap how the phone mounts the memory, but it would be cleaner if I could.

Again, thanks for replying!

I've never has problems with the SD, I just point my file manager yo /storage/sdcard1 whereas internal storage is /storage/emulated/0.

Also, I've only ever had an issue with my EFS getting messed up once, and that was back on 4.2.2 before development got stabilised with gee/geeb.
Main: HTS One M8 stock rooted
Auxiliary: Nook Color, MirageCM7

Electriccars
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGMatrix View Post
Also, I've only ever had an issue with my EFS getting messed up once, and that was back on 4.2.2 before development got stabilised with gee/geeb.
That's a bit comforting. But I wonder why all these people keep messing up theirs even now. Hmm.

OMGMatrix
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
That's a bit comforting. But I wonder why all these people keep messing up theirs even now. Hmm.

Mostly operator error.

Otherwise, the only thing that could cause this is confusion regarding which recovery to use. TWRP has always worked for me.

Electriccars
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGMatrix View Post
Mostly operator error.

Otherwise, the only thing that could cause this is confusion regarding which recovery to use. TWRP has always worked for me.
So the recovery could mess it up?

I personally like Philz Touch. In fact, there's an update right now! But I have my efs.zip in case anything goes wrong! :P

OMGMatrix
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
So the recovery could mess it up?

I personally like Philz Touch. In fact, there's an update right now! But I have my efs.zip in case anything goes wrong! :P

That's the only thing I'm aware of that would have write access to the efs partition.
Ive never used philz recovery, but earlier versions of CWM for the OG didn't even check the updater script, so you could Very easily flash something that could damage the phone.

Electriccars
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Yikes!