Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Singal drop / loss. Hardware problem? Where is the cell antenna?

OP att85

3rd April 2014, 09:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

40 posts
hi all...

I have a i337 from AT&T but my display broke some months ago. So I ordered a new one but I think the display was for the i9505. Because when I opened it and looked on it from the back, on the right up corner, there was not enough space for the i337 motherboard. The i337 motherboard has an (additional?) piece, which didn't fit into the display case.
So I cut of the plastic from the display case and then it fitted and went well for a while with great signal.

i337 display case

i9505 display case (with the cut off plastic)

But now for some days, I have a lot of singal loss and can hardly get more than 2 bars.

I try to find out where the problem is. I was originally on MF3 when everything went well. But then I updated to MK2. And then some time later..the issues startet. So my conclusion was that it must be a software problem..I tried all modems..nothing helped. I updated from MK2 to NB1. Nothing changed. Problem is still there.

So i assume that it must be a hardware issue and it was just a coincident that the issues appeared some days after the update. And now I try to understand how the galaxy antennas work. I think it can be fixed, because I didn't loose the whole signal..it's jut a lot weaker.

So I have some questions..
1) Is it normal, that these 2 contacts don't touch the motherboard on the left side and are flexible? The problem might be there..because this was the part of the phone..which didn't fit well.

2) For what is the long blue patch cable for that connects the bottom and top of the phone? http://www.etradesupply.com/blog/wp-.../IMG_69401.jpg

3) The main cell antenna is at the bottom, right? http://stellatech.com/pubs/uploads/g...e268826f6e.JPG
Last edited by att85; 3rd April 2014 at 10:16 AM.
11th April 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

40 posts
I changed now the antenna at the bottom and the small blue wire..even if I think the wire is for wifi
But nothing helped...i also downgraded to mk2 from nb1. still bad signal.

does anybody knows where the modem sits? maybe i can change this..
13th April 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #3  
Flag Chatham
Thanks Meter: 174

460 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by att85

I changed now the antenna at the bottom and the small blue wire..even if I think the wire is for wifi
But nothing helped...i also downgraded to mk2 from nb1. still bad signal.

does anybody knows where the modem sits? maybe i can change this..

Not sure about the exact parts but you're talking about but iFitIt has a tear down where they label and show you all the parts inside
16th April 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I had the exact same issue with you. Bought an i337, screen broke and replaced it with that of i9505's and then i experienced signal loss. What worked for me is this:

make sure you compare the mis fitting side (right top corner) and make sure the motherboard is at identical height on both sides. With the bezel taken out ,power on the phone with your sim card inserted (so you have only the screen and motherboard (no speaker and the plastic bezel in place). If you find out that you still don't have signal, while the phone is on, detach and reattach the blue wire and see it this is the issue. This worked for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread