5,605,438 Members 43,531 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Want to bypass the 2.5gb tethering limit from t-mobile? Here is my video tutorial!

Tip us?

themagicm
Old
(Last edited by themagicm; 27th March 2014 at 03:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Not working here either or spotty...

Works for a few minutes, then get the t-mobile warning and cannot browse anymore. Cant tether via usb either.

Kitkat 4.4.2 rooted

SM0k3Y
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm on KitKat Rooted, and its still tripping the counter here. APN's on IPv4

Larry Page
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Has anyone figured out how to bypass tethering using the stock tmobile hotspot app instead of the wifi tether router? I followed other instructions to editing the tether_dun_required to 0 but it doesn't stick. Any clues anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mattlgroff
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2343

DONATE TO ME
I'm fairly sure even doing everything with the APN removal of pcweb and using WiFi Tether Router, they can see usage still because of the User-Agent in HTTP headers. This means the other sure ways would be masking all User-Agents through a proxy (can even host your own in your local network to reduce speed loss) or through a VPN (will result in a loss of speed and a jump in ping (response).

Unless someone has made a breakthrough?

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored.
Owner of Batakang. Recognized Developer at XDA
You can find forum sections for the T-Mobile Prism II over at Droid-Hive under The Batcave.

mardukeme
Old
(Last edited by mardukeme; 3rd April 2014 at 03:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
There's a hidden apn called Tmobile Tethering that tmobile is using. You can disable it or delete it you should be fine.

I haven't had issue using WiFi Tether Router, even worked while internationally roaming.

trim81
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post
There's a hidden apn called Tmobile Tethering that tmobile is using. You can disable it or delete it you should be fine.

I haven't had issue using WiFi Tether Router, even worked while internationally roaming.

How do yoj delete it?
The Following User Says Thank You to trim81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mardukeme
Old
(Last edited by mardukeme; 3rd April 2014 at 10:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
How do yoj delete it?

Haven't figured out how to delete, but in another thread on tethering I have detailed instructions on how to disable it.

Edit**** Copy and pasted the instruc r ions below as well.

wrote this one my phone so if there any misspelling or things I missed I am sorry. If someone wants to rewrite it so it's easier, or an easier method to achieve the same thing go ahead.

As I mentioned in previous post you will need to turn of T-Mobile Tethering Apn. You will need root to use this app. Download APNS Backup from the playstore.

1.) After installation turn of WiFi before you run the app.
2.) Now create a backup of your apn.
3.) Exit the app and goto to settings and edit the apn you had created before to tether with in Android 4.3, under Apn Type add dun. Just save and exit.
4.) Open the backup apn file you just created with APNS Backup. I used Sqlite Editor. My back up was located in a hidden folder on the sdcard called .APNsBU.
5.) When the file open choose carrier as the table to open. Now look for T-Mobile Tethering, mine was located all the way at the end. Now select and edit this field. Look for the field carrier enabled and change that value from 1 to 0. Save and exit the db.
6.) Open up APNS Backup and choose restore. Pick the db file which you just edited. When done let the app reboot your phone.
7.) Use similar method to tether the way you did pre Kitkat upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Larry Page
Old
Thanks Meter 4
For some reason after I followed a method to tether successfully using the native tethering app, it will have issues transmitting data. Sometimes it will be fast and work, and other times it will be really slow or not connect at all. Hopefully a solution arises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lorettaa
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Works fine for me, maybe it depends on your stock rom

parmakr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ok so i need someone to clear this up please. I purchased note 3 2 weeks ago with 4.4.2 already installed. Rooted and followed video tutorial with wifi tether router installed. I also froze tether provision with titanium back up as a fellow xda member told me to do. My tethering is working fine. Question is i have about 2gb in tethering with my tablet and pc and dont have the tether plan that people have 2.5gb as im on an older plan where its 20 dollars for unlimited internet. Will tmobile find out im doing this if they havent already, and what are the consequences for doing this. Like i said its going on 2gb of tether but im afraid now that everyone is having all these issues now and seems like they are doing way more steps in getting tether to work like the dun 0 method where i only did a couple things for it to work.