Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,724 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A way to get around my school blocking almost everything on Wifi?

Tip us?

Baurblades43
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] A way to get around my school blocking almost everything on Wifi?

So just recently, my school re-did their whole Wifi, following this, they restricted access on almost everything, but their home website. I know you can get around this sort of thing using a VPN. However, I've tried a few VPN's and it seems they don't work because the VPN's API isn't availible? I assume this is because I'm running a custom ROM. So I was wondering, since I am running a custom ROM, is their a alternative thats possibly even better than using a VPN? I really can't just use mobile data since I've got a limit per month and its getting to that limit quickly.

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7392

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baurblades43 View Post
So just recently, my school re-did their whole Wifi, following this, they restricted access on almost everything, but their home website. I know you can get around this sort of thing using a VPN. However, I've tried a few VPN's and it seems they don't work because the VPN's API isn't availible? I assume this is because I'm running a custom ROM. So I was wondering, since I am running a custom ROM, is their a alternative thats possibly even better than using a VPN? I really can't just use mobile data since I've got a limit per month and its getting to that limit quickly.
There are quite a few ROMs that still support VPN connections. But honestly, you're in the same boat as most corporate employees.
What most of us do? Use mobile data, wait until we go somewhere with free wi-fi or home.
Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)