Smile [Q] Lost with bloated apps, I want to get ride of them

Hi all,

This is my first android phone, an HTC One M7_UL, and if I found it to be a wonderful piece of hardware, I am very disapointed by all the bloated apps that comme with it. I preicse I am an old GNU/Linux user, currently on gentoo from several years.

For now, I have a few issues I want to solve:

1) I can copy music files from my PC to the phone and listen to them. I found how to make playlists into the phone. Is it another way to add pictures to the playlists, albums and artists than the original apps?

2) The radio work well, when using another earphone than the original one. How can I make a manual search and have it memorized? Do I nedd another app or to root the device for that to be possible?
3) I hate the impossibility to customize the first screen. I found a way to disable that news stuff, but I really want to get ride of it. I guess the only way to do it is to root the device. Am I right, and if yes can I use any ROM for that?
EDIT: I see the last Sense update made it possible. Nice.

4) If I root my device, what is most important to me is to remove the bloated apps, get a file hierarchy that is more friendly to browse (as example I hate to get playlist files with a size of 0), I like the camera, it is truly amazing, especialy with fast moving targets, and I want to keep that capability. I also want playlist which are easier to customize, and a FM radio where I can put permanent favorites whih will not be erased by an automatic search.

Based on that, can you recommande me some ROMs? Or is it possible to do the same without to root the phone (I doubt, but as it's my first android phone, I want to be 100% sure).

I like Sense, but that's just a GUI and not so important to me. Generally, I preffer featues and flexibility over the look and the bloat.

Thanks for any suggestion.