Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,417 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S3 with custom recovery or s4 with ss?

Tip us?

gcodori
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default S3 with custom recovery or s4 with ss?

I currently rock a fully rooted s3 with bone stock rom and a custom recovery. My wife will get the s5 and hand me the s4.

Would you keep the s3 with the full recovery or take the s4 with safe strap (she updated it grrrr).

Is the 4 worth leaving the 3? I have no interest in aosp or pure Google. TW is okay, I just like to tweak it like hyperdrive or the s4 bone stock.

I'm just worried about flashing with ss, dealing with modules, etc. The thunderbolt was the same way, having to play with different modems to flash and hoping you had the right rom and module combo. I've been rooting phones for a while.

I'm also not a big fan of booting to the padlock and "custom" that just looks bad, imo.

Opinions? I think I can live with the limits of the 4 and no real recovery...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

thunderbls
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Default opinion

A moderator my shut down this thread and redirect... honestly the s4 is the first phone that I was happy with stock but my need to tinker is always there. There are several S'S roms out there now and lock screen dial pad is easily changed personally never had the s3 but bigger is better right? Lol use the next big thing it's been here. I run hyper dive rom currently on my s4 ans recommend it if you did go with the s4. Question though are you disposing of your s3 if not the just do a test drive with the s4.

gcodori
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbls View Post
A moderator my shut down this thread and redirect... honestly the s4 is the first phone that I was happy with stock but my need to tinker is always there. There are several S'S roms out there now and lock screen dial pad is easily changed personally never had the s3 but bigger is better right? Lol use the next big thing it's been here. I run hyper dive rom currently on my s4 ans recommend it if you did go with the s4. Question though are you disposing of your s3 if not the just do a test drive with the s4.
I figured this would be the better forum as it wasn't a technical q&a as most posts there are. This is more of a personal question and opinions.

I will keep the s3 to hand down to one of the kids. The s3 was a snap to root and flash. I just don't want a repeat of my thunderbolt days of figuring out which roms have the modules baked in, etc.

The bone stock thread was full of people flashing the proper module only to be left in a boot loop.

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1523

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcodori View Post
I'm also not a big fan of booting to the padlock and "custom" that just looks bad, imo.
You have two simple choices:

1. Stock. No Custom flag.
2. Rooted. Custom flag.

If you're "not a fan" of Custom, then you don't want to be Custom. Flash stock, and be happy.

You can, of course, run various tools that hide the Custom status. Or flash a stock ROM if you ever need to be stock.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

gcodori
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
You have two simple choices:

1. Stock. No Custom flag.
2. Rooted. Custom flag.

If you're "not a fan" of Custom, then you don't want to be Custom. Flash stock, and be happy.

You can, of course, run various tools that hide the Custom status. Or flash a stock ROM if you ever need to be stock.
The part of the padlock I don't like is that it gives the phone a "broken" feeling plus it hangs at the padlock for 10 seconds before it continues to boot.

If there was a tool to remove the padlock and the pause before boot that would be great. Do you have a link?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1286

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcodori View Post
The part of the padlock I don't like is that it gives the phone a "broken" feeling plus it hangs at the padlock for 10 seconds before it continues to boot.

If there was a tool to remove the padlock and the pause before boot that would be great. Do you have a link?

I THINK you can use Tri Angle Away on the S3 which should get rid of the padlock screen.

I use it on my S4 which is MDK with a custom recovery no problem. S4's beyond MDK I don't believe it will help... May actually brick the phone so read up and be careful.

If you try it on the S3 .. for best results you need to be on a Touchwiz ROM with a stock kernel. It has worked for me on different ROMs/kernels just it's not guaranteed.

Tri Angle Away is a paid app by Chainfire so again just read up first before spending the cash and or possibly bricking your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1523

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
I THINK you can use Tri Angle Away on the S3 which should get rid of the padlock screen.

I use it on my S4 which is MDK with a custom recovery no problem. S4's beyond MDK I don't believe it will help... May actually brick the phone so read up and be careful.

If you try it on the S3 .. for best results you need to be on a Touchwiz ROM with a stock kernel. It has worked for me on different ROMs/kernels just it's not guaranteed.

Tri Angle Away is a paid app by Chainfire so again just read up first before spending the cash and or possibly bricking your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
I use Triangle Away on my MK2 phone with no problems. It's important that you do NOT use "Reset flash counter" as I'm pretty sure that will set the Knox Warranty Void flag. What I do use is the "Periodic system modified reset".
There's also wanam xposed - one of the Security modules can reset the system modified status. See the Saferoot thread OP for information on that.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Keekers
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I really miss my S3 but I haven't run a custom ROM on the S4 yet. The S3 seemed so much easier to use in regards to everything rooted. I would definitely trade in my S4 if I had the opportunity.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Android version: 4.4