Post Reply

[Q] Where we stand on AOSP?

OP Koopa777

15th April 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 244
 
599 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Basically, I was wondering where we stand in terms of perfectly stable 4.4.2 AOSP builds. I have seen posts saying that there are issues with the LS980 variant in particular, and I am a bit uneasy where we will be down the road, not just for KitKat. Basically, will we get screwed and not be able to go further unofficially(because I fully expect LG to not update past 4.4.X, because it's LG)? I see builds being attempted with 4.4.2 source, but apparently the LS980 will not boot on the newer source. I am contemplating switching to a Nexus 5, as I find myself using AOSP exclusively, but the G2 is better in almost every conceivable way. It's been awkwardly silent for a couple weeks now, so any updates to report? I'm not looking for an ETA, just a possible confirmation of progress. I just want to know if I need to entertain the idea of getting a N5. Thanks!
15th April 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #2  
Robisgnarly's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Midland
Thanks Meter: 86
 
336 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

Basically, I was wondering where we stand in terms of perfectly stable 4.4.2 AOSP builds. I have seen posts saying that there are issues with the LS980 variant in particular, and I am a bit uneasy where we will be down the road, not just for KitKat. Basically, will we get screwed and not be able to go further unofficially(because I fully expect LG to not update past 4.4.X, because it's LG)? I see builds being attempted with 4.4.2 source, but apparently the LS980 will not boot on the newer source. I am contemplating switching to a Nexus 5, as I find myself using AOSP exclusively, but the G2 is better in almost every conceivable way. It's been awkwardly silent for a couple weeks now, so any updates to report? I'm not looking for an ETA, just a possible confirmation of progress. I just want to know if I need to entertain the idea of getting a N5. Thanks!



UMMMM what???? cm11 works great!
16th April 2014, 12:25 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 244
 
599 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robisgnarly

UMMMM what???? cm11 works great!

Sure, except for the poor audio quality, random reboots, system lockups, GPS issues, some apps not working with touchscreen, etc.....

So yeah, except for all AOSP ROMs being completely unstable and borderline unusable, they're pretty solid.
16th April 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #4  
Robisgnarly's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Midland
Thanks Meter: 86
 
336 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

Sure, except for the poor audio quality, random reboots, system lockups, GPS issues, some apps not working with touchscreen, etc.....

So yeah, except for all AOSP ROMs being completely unstable and borderline unusable, they're pretty solid.

had better audio quality on cm11 than stock 4.2.2, my phone never randomly rebooted, never locked up unless i caused it..... never had these issues.. so i guess i was one of the lucky ones?
16th April 2014, 02:10 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
44 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

Sure, except for the poor audio quality

nope, sounds identical here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

random reboots

once every two weeks or so when an app locks up is not "random reboots" and 100% not the fault of CM11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

system lockups

see above, 100% BS statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

GPS issues

already multiple solutions posted for that:
1: put it in 3g only mode
2: set it to "device only"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

some apps not working with touchscreen, etc.....

Got any proof of that? everything's been 100% working here. Even FM works great with Spirit 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

So yeah, except for all AOSP ROMs being completely unstable and borderline unusable, they're pretty solid.

Summary: go away troll, not unless you have proof of anything you say.
16th April 2014, 02:38 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 244
 
599 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord12

nope, sounds identical here.

once every two weeks or so when an app locks up is not "random reboots" and 100% not the fault of CM11

see above, 100% BS statement.

already multiple solutions posted for that:
1: put it in 3g only mode
2: set it to "device only"


Got any proof of that? everything's been 100% working here. Even FM works great with Spirit 2.


Summary: go away troll, not unless you have proof of anything you say.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2474887
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2601467
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2630977
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485088
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2677295

From a well-known dev:
"Like most kitkat roms actions from superuser / power up bluetooth *can* cause lag until you screen off and on.
D802 and VS980 have reboot issues like every other rom. Please do not report this or ask other users if they also get them, its a well known issue." - dr87

Audio issues can be found in literally every single ROM thread, I wasn't wasting more of my time finding quotes.

Every AOSP ROM has these issues, period. Whether or not you get them is a roll of the dice, but saying they don't exist shows how out-of-touch with the community you really are. Maybe try learning about the device you use, and know what you're talking about before you attack other members of the community. If I'm wrong fine, tell me I'm wrong, I'll respect and understand that. But when 5 minutes of searching generates all that "proof", much less what has been documented since August, it shows that you clearly would rather attack others than educate yourself.
16th April 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 244
 
599 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robisgnarly

had better audio quality on cm11 than stock 4.2.2, my phone never randomly rebooted, never locked up unless i caused it..... never had these issues.. so i guess i was one of the lucky ones?

It depends, LiquidSmooth has been stable for me recently, I got two freezes 2 weeks ago, but none since. Touch screen is borked for certain apps on all AOSP ROMs though, regardless. All ROMs have these issues, but it varies on the severity. I have personally never had stable GPS on ANY AOSP ROM since I got the phone on release day(November 8th), and I've tried every ROM available for the LS980.

These issues are supposed to be fixed in newer ROMs incorporating 4.4.2 kernel source, but the LS980 is struggling to boot said source, from what I understand. Check out houstonn's PA 4.0 or dr87's Mahdi, both are testing builds with newer source, and all these issues are apparently fixed.
16th April 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
44 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa777

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2474887
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2601467
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2630977
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485088
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2677295

From a well-known dev:
"Like most kitkat roms actions from superuser / power up bluetooth *can* cause lag until you screen off and on.
D802 and VS980 have reboot issues like every other rom. Please do not report this or ask other users if they also get them, its a well known issue." - dr87

Audio issues can be found in literally every single ROM thread, I wasn't wasting more of my time finding quotes.

Every AOSP ROM has these issues, period. Whether or not you get them is a roll of the dice, but saying they don't exist shows how out-of-touch with the community you really are. Maybe try learning about the device you use, and know what you're talking about before you attack other members of the community. If I'm wrong fine, tell me I'm wrong, I'll respect and understand that. But when 5 minutes of searching generates all that "proof", much less what has been documented since August, it shows that you clearly would rather attack others than educate yourself.

lessee here:
link 1: not AOSP or CM11
link 2: an uber *tiny* minority that could just as easily not like 4.4.x
link 3: very old thread, doesn't reflect current CM11 roms
link 4: not relevant, this is the sprint section and I see almost no CM11/AOSP mentions there. Last AOSP mention was in December... aka: doubly not relevant
link 5: very not relevant as that's a VZW G2 and not a sprint one. (this is the SPRINT section afterall) Doubly not relevant due to mentions in the thread you linked to mentioning the vzw G2 is the crippled version.

aka: go away, troll.
16th April 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 244
 
599 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord12

lessee here:
link 1: not AOSP or CM11
link 2: an uber *tiny* minority that could just as easily not like 4.4.x
link 3: very old thread, doesn't reflect current CM11 roms
link 4: not relevant, this is the sprint section and I see almost no CM11/AOSP mentions there. Last AOSP mention was in December... aka: doubly not relevant
link 5: very not relevant as that's a VZW G2 and not a sprint one. (this is the SPRINT section afterall) Doubly not relevant due to mentions in the thread you linked to mentioning the vzw G2 is the crippled version.

aka: go away, troll.

I was going to continue to defend, but then I thought, "why?" I'll leave you with something equally irrational.

"Walrus pancakes taste good with maple syrup."

Blocked.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Sprint G2 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank