Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 52,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't update it

Tip us?

Spyro1997
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can't update it

Hi, I'm from Italy and my uncle send me an SGH-i747.. I've unlocked it for use my Italy Sim.
The phone is currently 4.1.1 and it doesn't check update. Kies says me that the 4.1.1 is the latest update.. I've download OTA Updater but it says that the rom haven't got otaupdater.otaid or it is empty.
I hope you can help me. :3 Sorry for my bad english.

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro1997 View Post
Hi, I'm from Italy and my uncle send me an SGH-i747.. I've unlocked it for use my Italy Sim.
The phone is currently 4.1.1 and it doesn't check update. Kies says me that the 4.1.1 is the latest update.. I've download OTA Updater but it says that the rom haven't got otaupdater.otaid or it is empty.
I hope you can help me. :3 Sorry for my bad english.
You won't be able to get an OTA update in Italy because the update is delivered via AT&T which you probably don't have access to. You would need to have a valid AT&T SIM card in the phone with Wi-Fi access. You may be able to update manually in 2 steps first to 4.1.1 and then to 4.3 which is the latest OS version by following the process in the thread below ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387423

Download the 2 stock files for 4.1.2 and 4.3 respectively. Copy both zips to a good quality micro SDHC card
Power off the phone. Place the SD card into your phone. Boot into recovery mode by simultaneously holding down the volume up, power and home buttons. Wait until you see a blue message flash across the screen then release the power button but continue to hold the volume up and menu button until the Android image appears. Install the 4.1.2. Wait for the process to finish and your phone to reboot. Power off again and repeat for 4.3. Hope this helps you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spyro1997
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Now I try, Thanks .. But I've need to Root my phone?

Spyro1997
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've tried to update to 4.1.2 but at the restart of the phone, after "rethink is possible" it remain on the Samsung screen... help D:

Larry2999
Old
(Last edited by Larry2999; 16th April 2014 at 04:13 PM.) Reason: Correction
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro1997 View Post
I've tried to update to 4.1.2 but at the restart of the phone, after "rethink is possible" it remain on the Samsung screen... help D:
If you got to that stage, then it worked. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the rest of the set-up menu to come up after reboot. Wait for a while and if nothing comes up, pull out and replace the battery, then reboot into recovery mode. Do a hard wipe/factory reset in recovery mode and reboot.

You do not need to root your phone for this process. In fact, it may not work with a rooted phone. You can, however, still root your phone after the update and there are several ways of doing this. However, first get through the updating process and let's know how that goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spyro1997
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Really thanks, I've done an Hard Reset and it works.. now i've 4.3 thanks a lot. You can close the thread.