Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 51,656 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Blacklisted kindle hdx 7"

Tip us?

cambium0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Blacklisted kindle hdx 7"

I purchase a kindle fire hdx 7" with a cracked screen on ebay, prepared to order the necessary parts from china and restore it (somewhat) to working order. I did this, only to find that the device was blacklisted. Now I would like to install a custom operating system if any such thing exists. I am not a developer for this kind of thing, so pardon my post, but every single link to cyanogen and kindle hdx is a dead link (amazon legal dept?). Any suggestions, general or specific?

Tomen8r
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambium0 View Post
I purchase a kindle fire hdx 7" with a cracked screen on ebay, prepared to order the necessary parts from china and restore it (somewhat) to working order. I did this, only to find that the device was blacklisted. Now I would like to install a custom operating system if any such thing exists. I am not a developer for this kind of thing, so pardon my post, but every single link to cyanogen and kindle hdx is a dead link (amazon legal dept?). Any suggestions, general or specific?
Maybe u can find out why black listed...(probably stolen).. cause u will be hard pressed installing another Rom since none really exist yet. Those links are dead cause no roms exist. Once and if the device is rooted then more doors will open. No timeframe for that however. Might wanna wait on putting any money into this device. Good luck.

Cevyn
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambium0 View Post
Did the seller say it was blacklisted? If not, might be a buyer protection case there and you can return it.

Though seller might win if it was sold "for parts".
I build computers. And I play with 20 kilovolts and launch things with a 24KJ induction launcher. And these hobbies don't go together!!
The funny thing about clouds is that everyone can view them and they eventually disappear.

cambium0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default worked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomen8r View Post
Maybe u can find out why black listed...(probably stolen).. cause u will be hard pressed installing another Rom since none really exist yet. Those links are dead cause no roms exist. Once and if the device is rooted then more doors will open. No timeframe for that however. Might wanna wait on putting any money into this device. Good luck.
Well I messaged him asking where he'd bought it, he replied "Staples". It developed that he was in fact the original purchaser, but he went about unregistering his kindle the wrong way. He called Amazon and I've been able to register the Kindle so it worked out.

However there are a lot of blacklisted kindles on ebay that are catching my attention. I'd really be interested to know if it's possible to make use of that 2.2GHz snapdragon processor by installing some kind of android os on it to make a generic android tablet.