Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help me! Hard brick & unable to transfer files to phone.

Tip us?

Capt. Iv8
Old
(Last edited by Capt. Iv8; 16th April 2014 at 11:12 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Help me! Hard brick & unable to transfer files to phone.

much to my dismay, i have managed to be ignorant, impatient, and careless enough tonight to do the following to my precious note3:

1) wiped the stock rom slot on my phone via safestrap
2) thus, also deleted every single file on my internal storage (documents, pictures, personal memories, basically all files, titanium backup files, everything)
3) to hammer my point home: i lost everything that made my phone feel like my own and there's a sinking feeling in my stomach as i write this.

what was I trying to accomplish?

1) switch from KK Knoxraid to JB Firenote x7

what instructions did i follow? the instructions I found in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2707555

what went wrong?

1) smooth sailing right up until the point where i was in Recovery (SafeStrap 3.71) and I tried to flash JB FireNote X7. (smart, right? not...)
2) i noticed a strange error message that told me something about error datamedia/media - something about it not existing. i suspected there was some hiccup so i brilliantly wiped everything again and tried to re-flash, only to realize WHY there were instructions telling me to put the flashable ZIP on my external SD card
3) i no longer have any backups to restore via safestrap, nor any roms on my internal or external sd card
4) most disappointingly: i also do not seem to have any way to transfer any files from my computer to my phone. but then, I do not know what all the options are for doing so.

Now, after some research I understand that this is not as simple as the instructional thread made it out to be. at least not in my situation. I should have reverted back to JB, after using KK. But now i'm here and I do not know what to do. Hopefully what follows will help some other poor soul (read: idiot) that finds themselves in the same situation.

What am I trying to accomplish now:
1) Ideally, restore every file that i just wiped from my internal storage. i know this is a long shot, but i thought I'd throw it out there.
2) Most importantly: get my phone working again! preferrably with FireNote x7 ROM in my stock slot

Where am I at the moment?
1) in front of my computer at 12:45 in the morning in a cold sweat (not actually sweating, but you get the picture)
2) looking at the ADB sideload screen in Safestrap recovery 3.71. to make things worse, it appears that it does not work and it will not let me return to the main menu. Why did I do this? i panicked. have you ever panicked? i did, and i feel stupid

Help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt. Iv8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Capt. Iv8
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Apparently, it was only soft bricked. I decided to forgo any hope of restoring my wiped internal storage files and followed the instructions in the thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559715

I seem to be on the road to recovery. So far I have successfully restored my phone back to stock.

Important note: I was using a Windows 8.1 computer to perform the restore and I had trouble using zadig.exe from Heimdall - it said the driver installation failed. Windows 8.1 protects itself by forbidding unsigned driver installations. I found the way around this by using the guide on this website here: http://revryl.com/2013/08/06/install-unsigned-drivers/

Cheers, with a heavy heart
the Capt.

Rukbat
Old
Thanks Meter 45
You did exactly what I was going to suggest, so no need to repeat it. Now just install Safestrap, leave the stock slot alone and have fun.

(You may want to go to airplane mode immediately and freeze the updater so you don't get bothered by 4.4.2 [or let it update to NB4, then freeze it].)

BTW, if you ever do hard brick it (or if anyone comes here because he hard bricked his phone) a Samsung Dongle (which you can make if you have a microUSB plug and about half an inch of 1 wire from a stranded about #18 - and can solder - just short pins 4 and 5, or you can buy for about $2 on eBay) will bring a hard-bricked N3 to the download screen. From there you can Odin it back to life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rukbat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]