How to tell if a ROM is safe for 4.3?

OP joelshort

16th April 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

123 posts
How do I tell if a ROM is safe for installing using safestrap on a bootloader-locked phone with the 4.3 update?

Are the ROMs listed in
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post50448953
the only ones that can be used with the 4.3 update?
Thanks in advance.
16th April 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,982

5,520 posts
More
Yup, that's a fairly solid list by @BadUsername. Basically, with Safestrap you can only flash roms based on VRUCML1. So if you see "VRUCML1" or "ML1 4.3" in the title, then you're safe to use it.

Just make sure you that you have the VRUCML1 kernel modules from the Safestrap thread cuz you'll need to flash those for almost all VRUCML1 roms to have working wifi. If you value your wifi access, flash the kernel modules.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2014, 10:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

123 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS

Yup, that's a fairly solid list by @BadUsername. Basically, with Safestrap you can only flash roms based on VRUCML1. So if you see "VRUCML1" or "ML1 4.3" in the title, then you're safe to use it.

Just make sure you that you have the VRUCML1 kernel modules from the Safestrap thread cuz you'll need to flash those for almost all VRUCML1 roms to have working wifi. If you value your wifi access, flash the kernel modules.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

OK. I'm trying to understand all this and appreciate the help. Am I correct in saying that Safestrap is basically an "app" that allows custom ROMs to run along side the stock image? In other words, Safestrap doesn't actually modify the boot image and stock ROM?
16th April 2014, 10:47 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,982

5,520 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelshort

OK. I'm trying to understand all this and appreciate the help. Am I correct in saying that Safestrap is basically an "app" that allows custom ROMs to run along side the stock image? In other words, Safestrap doesn't actually modify the boot image and stock ROM?

The initial SafeStrap apk is an "app" but it installs your recovery once you follow the instructions. If you have used GooManager before to install TWRP or Rom Manager to install CWM on other devices, this is similar.

From how I understand it, at each boot you have the option to boot into SafeStrap or boot into the rom itself. I'm not the most proficient in the dynamics of SafeStrap and what you posted, but what you wrote is how I interpret it to be. SafeStrap relies on the stock VRUCML1 kernel and stock rom, so it allows you to get around the locked down VRUCML1 update. You can flash a custom VRUCML1 rom onto the stock slot and modify that slot to your heart's content but it is not recommended or endorsed by Hashcode.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread