Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 52,044 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Blinkfeed removal

Tip us?

grentuu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Default [Q] Blinkfeed removal

I have removed the Blinkfeed screen from the left screens as it is an annoyance to me.

It is obviously still there as when I check power usage it is the 2nd highest pull with 17% usage. Within the power screens it gives me the option to uninstall.

Is it safe to remove Blinkfeed as it appears to be installed as a system app?

HTC sites says: Important: Most of the preloaded apps cannot be uninstalled.

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

craig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Blinkfeed is the name of the Sense launcher, which is why it's still using cpu/battery. I imagine if you remove that apk without installing another launcher first, you're gonna be pretty screwed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium HD app
craig0r

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Rogers HTC One
HP Touchpad with CM10

grentuu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0r View Post
Blinkfeed is the name of the Sense launcher, which is why it's still using cpu/battery. I imagine if you remove that apk without installing another launcher first, you're gonna be pretty screwed.

Makes sense...
I force closed it with no detriment but am not willing to have to reflash my phone if it goes tits up as they say

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.

craig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by grentuu View Post
Makes sense...
I force closed it with no detriment but am not willing to have to reflash my phone if it goes tits up as they say
I just tried that too and then immediately hit the "home" button, and my home screen had to repopulate the widgets and icons, so I think that pretty much confirms it's a bad idea. You could always install another launcher (I like Nova) and then freeze the Blinkfeed launcher with Titanium Backup. Then if you don't like the results, just unfreeze it.

craig0r

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Rogers HTC One
HP Touchpad with CM10
The Following User Says Thank You to craig0r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WhiteSRT69
Old
Thanks Meter 80
yea i found this out the hard way.. wasnt thinking when i was using TB to remove system apps, wiped Blinkfeed and phone just displayed a black screen with the Nav bar at the bottom

you can however delete the page to the left of the home screen to remove blinkfeed

grentuu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0r View Post
I just tried that too and then immediately hit the "home" button, and my home screen had to repopulate the widgets and icons, so I think that pretty much confirms it's a bad idea. You could always install another launcher (I like Nova) and then freeze the Blinkfeed launcher with Titanium Backup. Then if you don't like the results, just unfreeze it.

Thanks.

I decided to go to GPE Conversion. Blinkfeed was too much of a drain plus I love the Google number look up so Blinkfeed is no longer a problem