Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 43,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How-to? Make a CM11 Wi-Fi only ROM

Tip us?
 
shelgame
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] How-to? Make a CM11 Wi-Fi only ROM

I searched, but couldn't find tips for what needs to be removed from a CM11 build to make a phone WiFi-only.

I have an old HTC Vivid I want to use as a datalogging device in my race car. It doesn't have a SIM and will never be on a 3G/4G network again. I do, however, want to be able to turn-on the WiFi hotspot feature so that I can transfer files to/from the phone using my laptop without having to plug it in; or have a WiFi router present.

I tried JellyBelly's script, but I keep getting a phone.apk FC. If I turn on airplane mode, the FC's stop. So, then I turned on WiFi. But, with WiFi turned on in airplane mode, the hotspot feature is grayed out.

So, I'd like to make a custom CM11 build for WiFi only. Is it possible? Any pointers to a how-to thread?

I suspect that maybe the Hotspot feature only works with a cellular network connection. I hope not...
 
cmerlyn
Old
#2  
cmerlyn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 213
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rohnert Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelgame View Post
I searched, but couldn't find tips for what needs to be removed from a CM11 build to make a phone WiFi-only.

I have an old HTC Vivid I want to use as a datalogging device in my race car. It doesn't have a SIM and will never be on a 3G/4G network again. I do, however, want to be able to turn-on the WiFi hotspot feature so that I can transfer files to/from the phone using my laptop without having to plug it in; or have a WiFi router present.

I tried JellyBelly's script, but I keep getting a phone.apk FC. If I turn on airplane mode, the FC's stop. So, then I turned on WiFi. But, with WiFi turned on in airplane mode, the hotspot feature is grayed out.

So, I'd like to make a custom CM11 build for WiFi only. Is it possible? Any pointers to a how-to thread?

I suspect that maybe the Hotspot feature only works with a cellular network connection. I hope not...
To make it WiFi only, go to Settings and turn off the data and turn on WiFi
To connect your phone and computer, the best way I have found is WiFi File Explorer Pro. It is not free, but the free version limits the transfers.
This will work on any smartphone.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5, rooted, Dynamic Kat
AT&T HTC Vivid - S-Off, rooted, unlocked, KitKat 4.4
LG Optimus V - ICS, now retired as an alarm clock
 
shelgame
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerlyn View Post
To make it WiFi only, go to Settings and turn off the data and turn on WiFi
To connect your phone and computer, the best way I have found is WiFi File Explorer Pro. It is not free, but the free version limits the transfers.
This will work on any smartphone.
That's actually what I'm using. But, that only works if there's an existing WiFi network to connect to. I also want the phone to host a WiFi hotspot/network.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
 
rignfool
Old
#4  
rignfool's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 533
Posts: 1,957
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelgame View Post
That's actually what I'm using. But, that only works if there's an existing WiFi network to connect to. I also want the phone to host a WiFi hotspot/network.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Have you tried blue tooth... It transfers files much easier

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes