Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 40,223 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] WiFi tethering w/low data?

Tip us?

Keekers
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] WiFi tethering w/low data?

I think I know the answer but I'm hoping I'll be surprised...I screwed up and upgraded phones, complying with a 2GB data plan and downgrading from my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My bill went from 120/mo to 60/mo and I had lost my S3 so I was desperate. Is there a WiFi tether app that uses less data than the others? Also, I'm rooted but using stock ROM. I have read other threads about tethering and it seems like something different works for everyone. I can't get my phone to tether using stock ROM. Is this the problem?

Thanks so much
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Android version: 4.4

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1304

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keekers View Post
I think I know the answer but I'm hoping I'll be surprised...I screwed up and upgraded phones, complying with a 2GB data plan and downgrading from my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My bill went from 120/mo to 60/mo and I had lost my S3 so I was desperate. Is there a WiFi tether app that uses less data than the others? Also, I'm rooted but using stock ROM. I have read other threads about tethering and it seems like something different works for everyone. I can't get my phone to tether using stock ROM. Is this the problem?

Thanks so much
Not sure about how much data it uses and I'm sure it all depends like you've said but in case you haven't seen this thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2512981

Tethering for your phone. Fairly easy.
I also don't have unlimited data and am curious what some people say about this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Keekers
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Not sure about how much data it uses and I'm sure it all depends like you've said but in case you haven't seen this thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2512981

Tethering for your phone. Fairly easy.
I also don't have unlimited data and am curious what some people say about this.

I've been following this thread to figure out how to do this and have been trying the whole night but can't figure it out. I've downloaded all the files for MK2 and moved the file to the right location but am super stuck. I miss my S3. I think I would have rather stuck with the S3 instead of upgrading to the S4. Poor decision on my part.

Fairly easy as in you got it to work no problem?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1304

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I've been following this thread to figure out how to do this and have been trying the whole night but can't figure it out. I've downloaded all the files for MK2 and moved the file to the right location but am super stuck. I miss my S3. I think I would have rather stuck with the S3 instead of upgrading to the S4. Poor decision on my part.

Fairly easy as in you got it to work no problem?
No I haven't used this method but from reading the OP to that thread it looks like you'd just need SafeStrap installed and then youd flash that in recovery. Again that's how I took it. Do you have SafeStrap installed? If you're rooted it'd be like installing any app

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Once SafeStrap is installed, open it and chick install recovery.

Keekers
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
No I haven't used this method but from reading the OP to that thread it looks like you'd just need SafeStrap installed and then youd flash that in recovery. Again that's how I took it. Do you have SafeStrap installed? If you're rooted it'd be like installing any app

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Once SafeStrap is installed, open it and chick install recovery.

I'm dumb and can't figure out if I have SafeStrap installed, it is rooted though.

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
I use foxfi doesn't require root or safetrap
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1304

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'm dumb and can't figure out if I have SafeStrap installed, it is rooted though.
Here take a look at the SafeStrap thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2441441

Just an option for you that's all

Keekers
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Here take a look at the SafeStrap thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2441441

Just an option for you that's all

Ah I don't know why I've been struggling so much. Thanks...I'm going to try the download if I can get the MD5s to match. They don't seem to be lining up w/the download.

Keekers
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabg View Post
I use foxfi doesn't require root or safetrap
Thanks I'll check it out