Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] WiFi tethering w/low data?

OP Keekers

16th April 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

195 posts
I think I know the answer but I'm hoping I'll be surprised...I screwed up and upgraded phones, complying with a 2GB data plan and downgrading from my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My bill went from 120/mo to 60/mo and I had lost my S3 so I was desperate. Is there a WiFi tether app that uses less data than the others? Also, I'm rooted but using stock ROM. I have read other threads about tethering and it seems like something different works for everyone. I can't get my phone to tether using stock ROM. Is this the problem?

Thanks so much
16th April 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,273

4,298 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keekers

I think I know the answer but I'm hoping I'll be surprised...I screwed up and upgraded phones, complying with a 2GB data plan and downgrading from my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My bill went from 120/mo to 60/mo and I had lost my S3 so I was desperate. Is there a WiFi tether app that uses less data than the others? Also, I'm rooted but using stock ROM. I have read other threads about tethering and it seems like something different works for everyone. I can't get my phone to tether using stock ROM. Is this the problem?

Thanks so much

Not sure about how much data it uses and I'm sure it all depends like you've said but in case you haven't seen this thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2512981

Tethering for your phone. Fairly easy.
I also don't have unlimited data and am curious what some people say about this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2014, 05:29 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

195 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Not sure about how much data it uses and I'm sure it all depends like you've said but in case you haven't seen this thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2512981

Tethering for your phone. Fairly easy.
I also don't have unlimited data and am curious what some people say about this.

I've been following this thread to figure out how to do this and have been trying the whole night but can't figure it out. I've downloaded all the files for MK2 and moved the file to the right location but am super stuck. I miss my S3. I think I would have rather stuck with the S3 instead of upgrading to the S4. Poor decision on my part.

Fairly easy as in you got it to work no problem?
16th April 2014, 11:50 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma

4,298 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I've been following this thread to figure out how to do this and have been trying the whole night but can't figure it out. I've downloaded all the files for MK2 and moved the file to the right location but am super stuck. I miss my S3. I think I would have rather stuck with the S3 instead of upgrading to the S4. Poor decision on my part.

Fairly easy as in you got it to work no problem?

No I haven't used this method but from reading the OP to that thread it looks like you'd just need SafeStrap installed and then youd flash that in recovery. Again that's how I took it. Do you have SafeStrap installed? If you're rooted it'd be like installing any app

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Once SafeStrap is installed, open it and chick install recovery.

16th April 2014, 02:27 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

195 posts
Quote:

No I haven't used this method but from reading the OP to that thread it looks like you'd just need SafeStrap installed and then youd flash that in recovery. Again that's how I took it. Do you have SafeStrap installed? If you're rooted it'd be like installing any app

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Once SafeStrap is installed, open it and chick install recovery.

I'm dumb and can't figure out if I have SafeStrap installed, it is rooted though.
16th April 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 496

1,313 posts
Donate to Me
More
I use foxfi doesn't require root or safetrap
16th April 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma

4,298 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm dumb and can't figure out if I have SafeStrap installed, it is rooted though.

Here take a look at the SafeStrap thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2441441

Just an option for you that's all

16th April 2014, 03:12 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

195 posts
Quote:

Here take a look at the SafeStrap thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2441441

Just an option for you that's all

Ah I don't know why I've been struggling so much. Thanks...I'm going to try the download if I can get the MD5s to match. They don't seem to be lining up w/the download.
17th April 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

195 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabg

I use foxfi doesn't require root or safetrap

Thanks I'll check it out

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread