Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 52,718 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dell Venue 8 doesn't boot after turning it into dev-edition

Tip us?

Scotty_T
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperi3679 View Post
The correct version of xfstk is now part of the updated zip package on dell website. It was inadvertently left out of the package. GLad to see that you are now rooted. Also note that the kernel sources are posted and you can build your own kernel and flash it since this process unlocked the bootloader also.
I'm having a hell of a time with this.

The version included in the Dell package is 1.0.3

However you are saying I need to use 1.0.2 ?

I am having no luck, every time it will not detect my device.

Also the other issue is that the included xFSTK-downloader-setup-1.4.2 will not work. Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 say its invalid and will not install it. So I found a version of xfstk-dldr-solo.exe from the internet to use.

So my issue is either the wrong iSOC drivers or the wrong xFSTK version or both.
Either way, the provided Dell instructions do not work.

Any ideas?

rb512
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_T View Post
I'm having a hell of a time with this.

The version included in the Dell package is 1.0.3

However you are saying I need to use 1.0.2 ?

I am having no luck, every time it will not detect my device.

Also the other issue is that the included xFSTK-downloader-setup-1.4.2 will not work. Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 say its invalid and will not install it. So I found a version of xfstk-dldr-solo.exe from the internet to use.

So my issue is either the wrong iSOC drivers or the wrong xFSTK version or both.
Either way, the provided Dell instructions do not work.

Any ideas?
First of all, Dell's instructions didn't work for me either, so I used the version from social-design-concepts, who also packed in supeSU in the system image. He's zipped the modified files and you can find it here :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=2

Once you download that version, you can proceed with these steps.

1) Flash the tablet (i.e. run step2.bat) first. This will soft brick your tablet (you'll see a USB icon as attached in my previous post), but don't panic.

2) Next, unplug your tablet from your machine, uninstall all versions of xfstk-iSoc drivers and install the one attached in my post. Once done, you'll see Cloverview Plus Device under iSoc Intel Driver in your Device Manager.

3) Unplug the tablet if it's already connected to your pc, run step1.bat, plug your tablet back in to your pc and your tablet's bootloader will be unlocked.

4) Reboot your tablet in bootloader (Hold down power and volume down) and run step2.bat

This will root your tablet and install android 4.3.

I've tested this on two Dell Venue 8 tablets running 4.2.2 and it worked like a charm.
The Following User Says Thank You to rb512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Scotty_T
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb512 View Post
First of all, Dell's instructions didn't work for me either, so I used the version from social-design-concepts, who also packed in supeSU in the system image. He's zipped the modified files and you can find it here :

1) Flash the tablet (i.e. run step2.bat) first. This will soft brick your tablet (you'll see a USB icon as attached in my previous post), but don't panic.

2) Next, unplug your tablet from your machine, uninstall all versions of xfstk-iSoc drivers and install the one attached in my post. Once done, you'll see Cloverview Plus Device under iSoc Intel Driver in your Device Manager.

3) Unplug the tablet if it's already connected to your pc, run step1.bat, plug your tablet back in to your pc and your tablet's bootloader will be unlocked.

4) Reboot your tablet in bootloader (Hold down power and volume down) and run step2.bat

I've tested this on two Dell Venue 8 tablets running 4.2.2 and it worked like a charm.
FINALLY - it worked.

Appreciate the help

rb512
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_T View Post
FINALLY - it worked.

Appreciate the help
yep, no problem!

RM4385
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Right, so at some point tonight I've gone and screwed up, and now i'm stuck. I've followed the instructions here, but I keep encountering the same error I was earlier.

This is right after the firmware download, the device is showing a usb symbol. Everytime I try to run step1_setup_xfstk this happens. A bit after that's shut down, my device goes to an Intel Inside screen until I shut it down. Can anybody tell me where I went wrong and how to fix it?

rb512
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
What is your xfstk-iSoc version?

RM4385
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
What is your xfstk-iSoc version?
I downloaded and installed the 1.0.2 version attached to your april 5th post. Actual version listed in the ISoc driver properties is 11.0.0.0